Old 28-02-2003, 05:05 AM
Elpaninaro

Default To all Paph sanderianum growers

Now that I understand better that you want to keep a couple of compots warm
and humid I was thinking maybe you could invest in a 10 gallon aquarium.

I was thinking you could put small stones or egg crate on the bottom and
have some water in the bottom to keep the humidity high. A small clip on
fan would keep the air moving. Heat could be supplied by the heating mat.

If you did it right it wouldn't be too ugly either.

Hi Gene,

That would be a good idea I think. The thought of an aquarium had crossed my
mind after an email I received last summer from one of the sanderianum growers.

He told me that doing just what you suggest- aquarium with heat source, water
for humidity and a fan- he not only has kept all the plants alive, but got
incredible growth results.

Actually looking at the burpee site tonight, I found for $26 a mini greenhouse
with a heating pad underneath and thought that might be worth a shot too. Not
the same air circulation capacity, but might be a good thing to experiment with
for the first few weeks from flask.

I figure if I get the aquarium, that greenhouse and then just leave some
heating pad space in the open, then that experimental sukhakulii flask can be
shared among the three- and hopefully some good results will come!

Take care,

Tom.

Old 28-02-2003, 05:05 AM
Elpaninaro

I find encouragement in the fact that (I measured this time) 2 of the
seedlings from this flask of sanderianum had 8" leafspans. How many
years closer to maturity is THAT??

So, shall we all keep in touch and share pics in 10, no, eight, no,
maybe six years (dare we hope)???

Hi tennis,

Will definitely be fun to all keep track and do some collaborative comparisons
over time.

I am awestruck too by your account of the size of your sanderianum seedlings.
When Sam was at the Houston show last fall, I was pleasantly surprised to see
that the sanderianum flasks had really good sized seedlings, but none at the 8
inch mark! By that size they are individually worth almost as much as a flask.

Did you get one of the new $300 ones or one of the remaining $400 ones? If the
size difference is that much, I am tempted to opt for the more expensive
versions.

Tom.
Old 28-02-2003, 06:07 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

I'll post a pix of mine growing in 2 1/2 inch pots to ABPO in a few minutes
if anyone wants to have a look see.

Old 02-03-2003, 09:16 AM
John Whistler

For seedling growth you may want to try CO2 injection as described by the links
from this homepage of GT Orchids. He grows mostly phals but documents his set up
and results.
GT Orchids homepage
Haven't tried it myself but looks interesting.

John

Old 04-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Pete

South Shore has sanderianum seedling 'Mandarin' x self for $20 and $26. I
have never bought any plants from them, so I don't know.

Pete

Old 09-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Dave Lockwood

Pete,
I've purchased many plants from Mary Jane at South Shore. I've always
been very pleased with what I have received. Check out their O.G.R.E.S.
rating. She has a huge fan club.
Dave

Old 09-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Pete

Thanks!

They have now raised the price to $30-$40.

Pete

Paph. sanderianum ? Nancy G. Orchids 2 10-05-2006 10:07 AM
Paph sanderianum Unefer1 Orchids 0 19-03-2004 05:32 AM
Paph sanderianum hybrids STopletz Orchids 0 05-10-2003 07:40 AM
The sanderianum Chronicles Part 1 (was deflasking paphs Elpaninaro Orchids 1 18-04-2003 02:56 AM
P. sanderianum Marcel Larouche Orchids 1 11-02-2003 04:25 AM