Old 19-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default Culture books

I just got my copy of Grove: "Vandas and ascocendas and their
combinations with other genera". Nice book, a bit old, but it has one
bit which details orchid culture. It says, among other not-so-relevant
things, that strap-leaved vandas will fold their leaves if subjected
to too much light. My small sansai blue has now been moved away from
the light. So has my epidendrum keikis.

Are there any other books out there with similar help for novices? If
I hadn't gotten hold of that book, I would have left the sansai where
it was the rest of summer with a seriously damaged plant come
fall for my troubles.

(It was at 35klux 15h per day, by the way. Now at 30klux for 12h.)

Geir

Old 19-05-2003, 08:32 PM
K Barrett

Do you mean for Vandas? Or for general orchid culture? If you are looking
for Vanda info IMHO you have the best book. For general culture guides look
into Rebecca Northen's 'Home Orchid Growing' or if you can get it in Europe
Ortho's 'All About Growing Orchids' ISBN 0-89721-151-0 (I think) check
Amazon.com to be sure.

K Barrett

Old 20-05-2003, 04:44 AM
A. N.

AND
if u like cattleyas
the collection of "the cattleyas and their relatives" by carl withner are
very nice.

also, i f u like paph
The Genus Paphiopedilum - Natural History and Cultivation
by braem and baker
http://www.orchidculture.com/COD/books.html
check the aos bookstore

Old 20-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"K Barrett" writes:
into Rebecca Northen's 'Home Orchid Growing' or if you can get it in Europe

Out of stock.

Ortho's 'All About Growing Orchids' ISBN 0-89721-151-0 (I think) check
Amazon.com to be sure.

Would this be the same as ISBN 0897214242?

Geir
Old 21-05-2003, 09:20 PM
K Barrett

Is the page at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...966947-6903340

Is the page for Rebecca Northen's book at Amazon.

Amazon.co.uk (which may save you shipping in Europe) the links are

And the Ortho Book is

I order books from Amazon.co.uk alot. I like murder mysteries and I hate
having to wait a year for books by my favorite authors to get to the
USA. So I have no worries about shipping or exchange rates.

I have used Amazon's 'Buy Used or New' service too. Without any
headaches, as long as you go with a reputable seller.

Alternately There are many rare book finers online, such as Bibliofind
(Which might have been bought out by Amazon) and alibris.com. Again I
have used many of these with good results, other than one bookstore in
Scotland that couldn't find Denise Mina's 1st ed of her 1st book for me
even tho they said they had it in stock, *G*. There's a reputable
bookstore in Oregon called Powell's that is good to deal with too.

Welcome to the wonderful world of seeking books on the web. There are
many great resources out there, and with a litle dedication on your part
you should be able to find these books at prices you can afford.

Heck for that matter put an ad in you local orchid society's newsletter,
and I'll bet someone will have an edition to sell you.

K Barrett

Old 21-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Kenni Judd

If you're looking mostly for cultural info, try to find something written
for your climate; if you can't, do keep in mind the likelihood that some of
the advice may have to be modified or may not work for you at all.

For example, here in hot, humid south Florida, I mostly recommend Orchid
Growing in the Tropics [OSSEA, available from the AOS bookstore online] to
those of my customers moving up from the novice stage. [The Ortho "All
About Growing Orchids" is what I recommend to beginners.] I've read
Northen's "Home Orchid Growing" several times, and it has _lots_ of good
info, but also contains advice that, if followed here, would promptly _kill_
plants in our specific conditions.

Specifically for vandaceous plants, Motes' book is very good.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com