Old 29-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Default help needed-extra info

Well I use a combination of bark, sphagnum, charcoal and seaweedlime. I use
it for all my plants and they all like it except the Phal's and paph's. It's
the same medium as a professional grower that I know, uses.

I keep a 112 plants in a windowsill and about 60 plants in a mini greenhouse
that I have made out of plastic and 2 wooden racks. There are ventilators
and a fog machine, just to get the air moving and the humidity up.
The light comes from the east, west north and from above. the plants react
well to it, there are now burn marks or any rot whatsoever. In the mini
greenhouse the temperature is about 25-30°C during the summer and during the
winter it goes down to 16-18°C. The humidity is somewhere between 70-95 RHS.
The windowsill is a lot dryer so I chose those plants very carefully. My
cattleya's likes it there and so do my dendrobium's.

My cold plants go outside in the summer and I have a cool place for them
during the winter.

I fertilise my plants every two weeks and when they're actively growing I
sometimes give them a little bit of honey in the water. It's tap water and
I let it stand for a night. I have no other water right now.

Finaly I use stone pots for all my plants. For some reason plastic pots
don't do well at my place. The roots start to rot and the plants just don't
seem to like them.

That's about it.
Peter

"Geir Harris Hedemark" schreef in bericht
"Diane Mancino" writes:
If a typical European home you usually keep your home cooler than we do

in
the US at 65-70 F, maybe not warm enough, but everything else your

growing
would need similar conditions- maybe too much light?

Possibly. I have given phals everything from 3000 to 10000 lux. They
don't survive either way.

What medium and pots do you have your paphs and phal in.?

I never get them to hang around long enough for repotting to be an
issue, so for my part it's the shop-delivered moss/bark mix with
plastic pots.

Geir

Old 29-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Diane Mancino

what method do you use to water. you have to watch for rot and be careful to
not get water in the crowns. You probably knew that. I use a standard
orchid bark mix with a little extra spag moss- the paphs are in "tom" pots
clay pots with holes all over the sides so its impossible for me to over
water them. since the water runs right through them I soak the plant in warm
water, and weak fertilizer every other watering.

your standing water would be cold like mine is- don't water with cold water.

.be...

Old 30-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

OK, I give up.

What is "seaweedlime?"

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 30-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Well I use a small handhels pump. i don't know you call it. I just pump in
some air and then I push a button and out comes the water.
I always get water in the crown but they never rot. It's always the lower
leaves that fall off first. It does'nt look like rot the leaves just dry
out.
I keep them in clay pots, we just call it stone pots, with one hole in the
buttom.
I use two fertilizers one with a NPK of 10-4-7 during spring and summer,
then another with a NPK of 4-8-8 during the fall and winter. Every 2 weeks
with at least one ore two waterings in between.
The watezr temperature is the same as our livingroom because I leave it
there overnight. I have measured it a couple of times and it has always been
at least 18°C.
Peter

"Diane Mancino" schreef in bericht

Old 30-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

It's lime made of seaweed. It's to correct the ph of the medium.
Peter
"Ray @ First Rays Orchids" schreef in bericht
OK, I give up.

What is "seaweedlime?"

Old 30-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Sorry for the spelling mistakes but it's getting late.
Peter
"Boystrup Pb, ann,..." schreef in bericht
.be...