Old 27-02-2010, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Grow A Little Extra This Year If You Can! Help A Neighbor :)

I have been out of work for over two years now when my company downsized
in this poor economy. Times are tough and going to get a whole lot
tougher for sure! I'm very lucky in the respect that I'm 61 years old
and only have one more year to go till I can retire on social security.
That is if that program is still in existence a year from now. Guess
what I'm really trying to say is: help your neighbor out a little if
you can. I'm planting way more vegetables in the garden this spring
than my wife and I could ever use. The reason being, I want to be able
to do what I can to help out other less fortunate people in this dire
time of need. I plan to put a folding table near the curb on my front
lawn and fill it with fresh veggies each day. I'll also have some saved
grocery bags on the table and a sign that says FREE ......PLEASE TAKE
WHAT YOU NEED BUT REMEMBER OTHERS MAY BE IN NEED TOO! With unemployment
being as it is, I would imagine the veggie table will be quite a hit in
the neighborhood. It may be truly appreciated by some, others will
take advantage and some will won't care either way. This won't deter
me one bit. Why? Because I know In my heart that I'm doing the right
thing. We all need to help each other right now if we can because the
government sure don't give a shit about any of the once middle class
population!!!
May sound like a crazy idea to some but I was just brought up that way
when neighbors still helped neighbors

Rich From PA......... Zone 6

Old 27-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Registered User

I think this is a lovely idea, and I commend your attitude to the inevitable advantage takers.

My Dad worked for the Red Cross for years, and when people would say, "Oh, I don't give to charity in Africa, only 60% of the aid gets through." My dad would always reply, "But what about the 40% that does make a difference? You want me to explain to them that you weren't getting your money's worth so everyone just has to go without?"
Old 27-02-2010, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

(EVP MAN) wrote:

[...]

You already figured out that there are greedy *******s.

Folks where I live used to do exactly what you propose and even placed
very low price tags (really not even enough to cover the costs of
growing, like 10¢ a piece). This was a pay on the honor system but
still hardly anyone actually paid the few pennys plus they grabbed all
they could leaving little for others.

I found a much better system for sharing with neighbors is to trade
produce with those who also have gardens... everyone grows a different
mix of crops so the barter system works well, and it needn't be
anything formal... whenever I have extras I leave a bagful at my
neighbor's doors and they in turn do likewise.

Old 27-02-2010, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote
(EVP MAN) wrote:

time of need. I plan to put a folding table near the curb on my front
lawn and fill it with fresh veggies each day. I'll also have some saved
grocery bags on the table and a sign that says FREE ......PLEASE TAKE
WHAT YOU NEED BUT REMEMBER OTHERS MAY BE IN NEED TOO!

You already figured out that there are greedy *******s.

I found a much better system for sharing with neighbors is to trade
produce with those who also have gardens... everyone grows a different
mix of crops so the barter system works well, and it needn't be
anything formal... whenever I have extras I leave a bagful at my
neighbor's doors and they in turn do likewise.

Same here. Oh, I havent the spread you do, but I still grow enough excess
in my containers that I bring some over to neighbors. Last year it was a
bumper crop of tomatoes and heritage bell peppers that I mostly had too much
of.

Old 27-02-2010, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:39:14 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

"brooklyn1" wrote
(EVP MAN) wrote:

[...]

Another option is to donate to your local food bank.

Old 27-02-2010, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

The food bank would be a good option indeed. We have a homeless shelter
about 20 miles away that might be interested in some veggies. I also
like the idea of a barter system with the neighbors. I done that last
year with the neighbor right next door. The only problem is the fact
that we live in town and very few neighbors put out gardens here. There
are quite a few professionals in our town, lawyers, doctors, college
professors etc. I guess many of these folks have very little need for a
vegetable garden or don't really want to rip up a spot on their well
manicured properties to put one in. Me, I'm just the opposite! I
figure what good is a back yard if it can't give you something in
return!

Rich

Old 27-02-2010, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

[...]

Some times a little info can provide food for the table.

http://www.culinate.com/articles/our...te_budget_meal

If you have a blood sugar concern and favor less carbs and starches
you may be able to tweak some of this your way.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 27-02-2010, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

Same here. Oh, I havent the spread you do, but I still grow enough excess
in my containers that I bring some over to neighbors. Last year it was a
bumper crop of tomatoes and heritage bell peppers that I mostly had too
much
of.

Another option is to donate to your local food bank.

Oddly, they don't take home small yard grown. Besides, I'd rather delight
my neighbors and I do other things for charity.

Old 27-02-2010, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

(EVP MAN) wrote:

[...]

Food banks don't usually want fresh produce, they have no refrigerated
storage facilities. Occasionally I have a glut of lettuce that's too
much to pawn off on neighbors because they do likewise, so rather than
place it in the composter I bring it to a local golf course restaurant
where I know the cooks... they serve it as salads and in turn invite
me to many of their events. Many of the local folks who garden gift
the local golf course because many of their family members are
employed there... college students need seasonal jobs. And golf
courses are always looking to employ seniors to drive mowing
tractors... I'm asked everytime they see me. Peronally I don't think
anyone in the US should be out of a job, there are plenty of jobs that
go begging because folks are too ascared to change occupations and/or
get their hands soiled or sweat. Getting laid off should be seen as a
gift to encourage a career change, usually for the better, instead of
a lame alibi to collect unemployment insurance, and for years...
shoulld be embarrassed to admit it, especially so publicly.

Old 28-02-2010, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:
[...]

I always give away excess to neighbours every year and ask nothing in
return. But it comes back anyway.

David

Old 28-02-2010, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

(EVP MAN) wrote:

[...]

Food banks in my area only accept food that has a USDA stamp of
approval. Starving neighbors won't complain if you give to them.

I say be the greedy *#$%& and learn to preserve your own food. If you
learn to preserve your own food, nothing you grow will go to waste.
Extra lettuce can feed the chickens or put in the compost pile. And yes
people that are down and out in the city can convert an old shed to a
hen house. Just can't have that noisy rooster. If your community does
have a law preventing chickens - I would do it anyways and see if anyone
complains. Having chickens harms no one. Stupid laws are made to be
broken.

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 28-02-2010, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

(EVP MAN) wrote:

[...]

Also, check out the local garden associations. Many of them have or know
where there are local community gardens. Free food for the taking, just
help them pull a weed or two.

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 28-02-2010, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dan L." wrote
kate wrote:

Another option is to donate to your local food bank.

Food banks in my area only accept food that has a USDA stamp of
approval. Starving neighbors won't complain if you give to them.

Seems like that here. Grocery stores and such can do that and big time
suppliers to local ones as well, but not us little guys with 15 extra
tomatoes from our yard.

The 'out from the rules' is a local church may be happy to have such for an
exchange. We do that too. A local one here has a sort of 'soup kitchen'
run by the church but not listed as a non-profit (though they make none).
They take fresh veggies from local small gardens happily. We donated our
old commercial sized behemoth freezer to them as we had replaced it with a
smaller unit when away several years (it was with the renters of our house).

The local church is feeding mostly local folks who are elderly and on fixed
incomes, and young single parents. It operates more like a huge potluck
with a kitchen attached. I dropped off an excess bag of onions yesterday
(still fresh, just didnt realize Don had gotten a bag 2 days earlier).

Old 02-03-2010, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"cshenk" wrote:

"Dan L." wrote
kate wrote:

[...]

Same here, churches seem to be exempt as well. Churches might use the
"Pot Luck" dinners as a way out of the "Charity Organization" group.

Charities may have to operate under different government regulations.
Many Charities also receive government funding where churches don't.

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.