Old 10-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Ryan greenthumbs

Default Catt light question

How much light is too much for cattleyas? I have a few plants that I
just can't get to bloom. They grow well (like the other Catts in my
collection), they're healthy, they keep producing pseudobulbs every
year, but they just won't bloom for me. I've tried more and more
light (over a period of two years); the plants' leaves are turning
lighter and lighter (almost yellow)
but I've not burned them yet.... I fertilize them as I do all the
others, they're potted in the same medium. What's the problem?

Thanks for any advice,
"Greenthumbs"
Old 11-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Dave

I live west of you on the other coast and had some trouble getting some of
my catts to bloom and cut back on the amount of water I gave them, the
started blooming and still bloom. I give my catts between 50% and 60% which
they seem to like. I got one from Joe G. over there about 8 years ago and
it would not bloom until I cut back on the water, when I did it started
blooming - it has 12 blooms on it now.

I have not had fungus problems with the ones I hang in the yard, more
problems with insects and squirrels. I do spray with RD20 on a monthly
basis.
om...

Old 11-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Diana Kulaga

G.T.,

Greetings from Port St. Lucie. You mention that the plants in question
haven't bloomed over a period of a couple of years. Did they ever bloom
(i.e. were they blooming when you acquired them)? It's possible that they
are just not ready yet. I have a ton of Catts that are growing well, but
are simply not 'ready' yet (I bought them as seedlings, or as a compot).

Diana
"Ryan greenthumbs" wrote in message
om...
How much light is too much for cattleyas? I have a few plants that I
just can't get to bloom. They grow well (like the other Catts in my
collection), they're healthy, they keep producing pseudobulbs every
year, but they just won't bloom for me. I've tried more and more
light (over a period of two years); the plants' leaves are turning
lighter and lighter (almost yellow)
but I've not burned them yet.... I fertilize them as I do all the
others, they're potted in the same medium. What's the problem?

Thanks for any advice,
"Greenthumbs"

Outside light question. Dont flame me the light will be in the garden :-) [email protected] United Kingdom 8 09-04-2011 04:56 PM
question about catt J Fortuna Orchids 5 17-12-2004 12:33 AM
question about catt J Fortuna Orchids 0 16-12-2004 02:14 PM
Catt bowringiana question. Boystrup Pb, ann,... Orchids 7 20-09-2003 01:14 AM
burned leaf tips on a Catt Terry Orchids 4 05-02-2003 11:01 PM