Old 26-06-2003, 06:42 AM
Sheepkeeper

Default Colmanara Wildcat

I have a Wildcat that shows every sign of doing well--it's making several
new pseudobulbs and has a new inflorescence. The old pseudobulbs, however
have wrinkled. I water it well once a week, and we have relatively high
humidity here (Monterey coast). Is this shriveling normal, or would it like
more water?

Old 26-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Bolero

If it's warm there you could water it 2 or 3 times a week. The shrivelling
is fairly normal but is an indication that it could use a little more water.

Old 26-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Gene Schurg

Sheep,

My experience is that Col. Wildcat backbulbs then to shrivel more than other
oncidium types. As long as you are getting new healthy looking growth don't
change your current watering schedule.

Properly grown these things grow like weeds and bloom reliably on the newly
mature psedobulbs. The older backbulbs on mine tend to look a bit ratty
with the long leaves flopping around. The bulbs are wrinkled and very dark
green.

Good growing,
Gene

Old 26-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Susan Erickson

"Sheepkeeper" wrote in message
m...
I have a Wildcat that shows every sign of doing well--it's making several
new pseudobulbs and has a new inflorescence. The old pseudobulbs, however
have wrinkled. I water it well once a week, and we have relatively high
humidity here (Monterey coast). Is this shriveling normal, or would it

like
more water?

I have to agree with Bolero that once a week does not seem like
enough water. IF it is actively growing it needs water to expand
the cells. As it grows larger it can use extra water because of
its size. The weather should be getting warmer, the plant will
use more water in the summer. Evaporation is increased in the
heat.

On the other hand, have you checked the roots? Just because it
grows new pbulbs does not mean it has grown good roots. Some
plants do not want to bother growing roots. If you do not have
good roots you will need to baby it to keep from drowning what
you have. If you have seen new roots developing, are the ones in
the pot still good? When was it last repotted? Is the mix fresh
enough to support the plant thru another bloom cycle? If it
needs to be repotted, NOW is the time. Before the new bulbs grow
roots. You will give the new roots fresh mix to explore and you
are less apt to damage the starts.

SuE
Old 26-06-2003, 04:44 PM
K Barrett

Ditto. You have new growths, and an inflorescence coming. I wouldn't change
a thing. Its been my experience that back bulbs will shrivel when they lose
roots. Since they've already bloomed these back bulb's main 'purpose' (if
you want to think of it that way) is to provide storage for the developing
front bulbs. In a perfect world the back bulbs wouldn't lose roots, but,
hey. I'd say you were doing great as you are.

K Barrett

thlink.net...

Old 27-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Sheepkeeper

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
news
[...]

I repotted it about a month ago because it would no longer stand upright
without bracing. The roots were mostly good, and any poor ones I pruned. I
put it in a mixture of medium fir bark, pearlite and charcoal.