Old 04-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default White Footed Ants Invading

All,

Down here in 'South Flahda' we are experiencing more ants this year than in
recent memory. The worst are a species called white footed ants. They do
not respond to Amdro, and what bait they will take they do not deliver to
the nest, the selfish SOB's.

They are not particular about what they get into. I.e. they are crawling
in and out of Catt and Dend pots that hold only stone or Aliflor. Primagra
is infested as well, and we don't want to talk about anything potted up in
spagh, bark or CHC. It's not just me - we have Terminix come in once a
month, and all their customers are having problems, as well as most of my
local orchid buddies.

The exterminator gave me a diluted bait spray which has some limited effect,
but is no panacea. Alcohol works on contact, but is impractical with so
many bugs. Raid kills them, but again, how much can you spray? So, two
questions.

1. What do you all know about "Terro" (sp?) which is supposed to sell at
WalMart and is on the pricey side (I don't care, if it will work)?

2. The stuff that Terminix uses on the exterior of the house is called
"Demand", and is petroleum based. He - and I - are reluctant to use my
orchids for guinea pigs to see if it would harm them. Anyone know?

Diana

Old 04-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 20:52:45 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

All,
The exterminator gave me a diluted bait spray which has some limited effect,
but is no panacea. Alcohol works on contact, but is impractical with so
many bugs. Raid kills them, but again, how much can you spray? So, two
questions.

1. What do you all know about "Terro" (sp?) which is supposed to sell at
WalMart and is on the pricey side (I don't care, if it will work)?

2. The stuff that Terminix uses on the exterior of the house is called
"Demand", and is petroleum based. He - and I - are reluctant to use my
orchids for guinea pigs to see if it would harm them. Anyone know?

Diana

I agree with the avoid Petro based sprays theory.

I wonder if Doris's Roach Bait would work. I have a vague memory
of some other Boric Acid Bait, but it was not in my Bug Juice
File.

Roach Bait - Doris Salzmann - RGO

¼ # candle wax.
¼ C sugar
4 oz Boric Acid powder (drug Store)
thoroughly mix.
Pour out to set. ¼ " thick slabs. Break into pieces.
Distribute around where roaches have been seen.
Keep away from children and animals.

SuE
Old 04-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Gene Schurg

Diana,

In this months Orchids I think I saw someone advertizing and orange oil
based ant repellant. You might try that on the plants. I just saw the ad
and don't know if it works.

Gene

rthlink.net...

Old 05-07-2003, 11:20 AM
David Ward

Diana,
I've just had a problem with ants in my orchid house and I am using a
product called Dethlac which is available here in the UK. It's a spray on
lacquer which kills ants and other crawling insects by contact as they crawl
across the surface.
I've used it outside effectively & hope it'll be OK among the orchids.The
active ingredient is 0.02% deltamethrin. Might be worth a search to include
lacquer - I would think there should be something similar in America.
DAvid

Old 05-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Diane Mancino

Terro contains borax, which is good. I got the bait traps and then the
refill bottles. traps didn't seem expensive. I saw ants coming to get the
bait, but don't know how effective it is since I'm using it for carpenter
ants. At least your not contaminating large areas this way. Check to see
what your ag extension website recommends

diane
thlink.net...

Old 05-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Ray Barkalow

Be careful of Orange Guard. I have heard of folks killing plants with it.
I don't know the specifics, but it may be another oil in the sun situation.

--

Ray Barkalow -- First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 05-07-2003, 08:44 PM
V_coerulea

Another great insect bait that I've used with success is also based on
boric acid.
Crush 1/2 C corn flakes by rolling with a rolling pin
1/4 C molasses
4 oz boric acid
Pat mixture into 1/2" thick slabs between 2 pieces of wax paper. When dried,
it crumbles nicely to make it easy to apply. Roaches and ants love it. And
the best thing about it, I believe it's something they can't build an
immunity or tolerance to. If someone knows differently, I'd love to hear
about it.

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 20:52:45 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"

All,

Old 05-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Diana Kulaga

Sue,

The bait spray that the exterminator gave me is Borax based. Also was
thinking about the wax mixture, since I'd seen it on Ray's site. These ants
are tough; even the ag station doesn't sound convinced of any particular
remedy. Something will work, I'm sure.

Tx.

Diana
"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 20:52:45 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"

All,

Old 05-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks, all. It's going to be me - alpha type orchid lover - vs alpha ants.
I'll win. After all, they're ANTS, not alligators!

Diana

Old 06-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Jim S

BUT ITS NATURAL!?!?!?!?!

sorry had to have a stab at the anti chem crowd

try talstar or demand or any other microencapsulated product for white foot
ant control

Jim

Old 06-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Ernie

Here is what l have been doing for years and it works well for me! I
bought a shaker for spices that has larger holes than a salt shaker,
then you fill it with diazanon granules. Go through your green
house/plant area and sprinkle the diazanon into and around the pots.
Within 24 hours the ants will be gone! It will last for weeks and you
don't have to spray it or anything else. I've used this on every kind
of orchid without bad results. Now this won't keep them out forever,
but it works very well. Ant are ants and they will be back no matter
what we do, but this is by far the simplest way to deal with the
problem. Good luck!! Ernie