Old 15-07-2003, 02:43 AM
Kevin

Default What do I do with this thing?

Until you identify what type you have, try this- it may not be the
best for your particular orchid, but most likely it won't kill it and
will buy you enough time to find out exactly what it needs....

First off, give it as much light as you can, but not too much direct
sunlight. If you live in FLA, try putting it under the lanai. Or
someplace with one of those slatted roofs, or the deck where you sit
alot. It will likely burn if given a lot of direct sun- maybe not-
depends on the variety. Don't take the chance.

Since it's on bark, it's most likely a Dendrobium or Vanda. Who knows?
Either way, it soaks up the water when it rains, then drys out
somewhat in the wild. So do that. But not too much... And it will love
you if you mist it daily. Put it out on the deck where you sit and
keep a mister bottle nearby.

You should have enough light and temps to get most things flowering in
Florida. Unlike here in MO where you have to buy a thousand dollars
worth of light or greenhouses. If you figure out what you have, and
get it to bloom, you'll be hooked. You'll spend money you don't have
for orchids. Sorry about that, but good luck.

Kevin
Old 17-07-2003, 10:32 AM
MLL

Kevin,

I just found one of your other posts and responded.

You do NOT have to spend thousands of dollars unless you are over the top.

You can use ever day items and just the space around you.

You said you had your Orchids in a bedroom and used light and moisture?

Who would buy an Orchid to just stick in a bedroom anyway?

A good rule of thumb is to remember your space. Do you go to the bedroom to
just
enjoy them every day?

I now live in the UK and am working on expanding My collection again but I
will fill My space
as I have room for so I can enjoy them, not them enjoy Me.

I do agree that they are very addicting but you must remember that your
house can not take
the same abuse as a green house and in Mo - A green house can be almost
anything.

Use your imagination and get outdoors!

Lorri
om...