Old 17-07-2003, 02:45 AM
Frank H. Kirchner

Default Angraecum culture

Hello to all,

I hope all, both orchids and growers, are thriving in the long days of
summer.

My Angraecums are all running into problems. Although there is no visible
sign of disease, leaves at the base of the pseudobulb turn brown and are
dropping. Eventually, the entire plant has been involved and the top 4-5
leaves, apparently healthy, separate at the leaf axil. It acts like a crown
rot although the crown is intact. I can't see any visible infestations,
haven't altered my growing culture, etc.

Anyone have suggestions as to what might be afflicting my Angreacums?

Thanks for the help.

--
Frank H. Kirchner

Old 17-07-2003, 06:15 AM
Paul Simon

Frank,

It sounds like it may be lack of water. That happens to mine right after
repotting and I have an Aerangis ramosa suffering at the moment which didn't
bloom this year. Check and see if there is any shriveling of the leaves.
Hopefully there is no tip die back, which would indicate overfertilizing.

Paul

newsNmRa.12876$b03.12835@lakeread03...

Old 17-07-2003, 08:42 PM
V_coerulea

I not an expert on this by any means, but I've seen and heard of erwinia
becoming systemic and causing brown rot in monopodials. If you have any
aerial roots just below the lost leaves, you might consider cutting there,
soaking the cutting in Physan and repotting. Fusarium might be another
culprit with the same "cure". Good Luck.
Gary