Old 23-07-2003, 06:02 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Default Biting the Bullet on Pesticides...Opinions, Please

Humm.... we're still talking about scale I assume?

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Enstar doesn't hit the adults who can live their normal lives (provided
something else in the spray doesn't affect them). That's the reason for

the
knockdown. Knockdown the adults, no more eggs. No more eggs means fewer
sprays to regulate juveniles. To knockdown, I use Orthene or diazinon
(preferably Orthene).
Gary
"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
Makes sense - so what do u use to knock them down? Although this time

at
least, I already started w/ Enstar.

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
.. .
I agree with the Enstar as I mentionned above. But I think the whole

process
of bringing things under control is helped by something that helps

knock
down the adult population first. Then bring on the guns that prevent

any
more from maturing.
Gary

"Ray" wrote in message
You might want to consider Enstar II, as it's an insect growth

regulator
rather than killer. No maturation = no more bugs. No impact on

other
critters or the environment.

I have used it mixed with neem oil with great success.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"V_coerulea" wrote in message
.. .
I recently had an outbreak of cattleya scale which can devestate
seedlings
in a heatbeat and bring the big ones down without much trouble (an

not
just
cattleyas). There were also a few mealies around. I hit

everything
with
Orthene twice, 6 days apart, first time as a spray and drench, 2nd

time
just
spray. I followed up with Enstar II twice at control doses and

again
with
preventative dose. I haven't seen any signs of infestation in 3

weeks -X
(fingers crossed). You can imagine how long this took for several
thousand
plants. But at that point, what was the alternative? I know from

now
on
that
all new plants, especially trades, get treated and isolated for

several
weeks before joining the collection. This had been my general

policy
prior
to the infestation. I got lax. My fault. A reminder every-so-often

is
necessary for some of us to get back on track. I had a bunch of

trouble
number of years ago with scale and mealies prior to "ant-proofing"

the
greenhouse. Sealed and screened pretty tightly, the greenhouse

gets
some
spray around doors but usually that's about it. As for the anoles,

know
lose some when I have to spray. But judging by the number of

little
ones
around a lot of eggs are in protected sand somewhere that keep

popping
out.
They're pretty good survivors. Best of luck. Hope this helps some.
Gary

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hi, Gang,

Thus far, I've never had what I would call a *serious* pest

problem.
That
seems to have changed. I've been spotting mealies around the

Phals
and
on
some other plants. I pulled an ailing Phal out of its pot and

found
the
roots infested with the things. Since, I've been repotting

Phals
like
crazy. And finding scale. Normally, I use straight alcohol,

or,
for
scale,
alcohol/soap/oil. Both are effective.

Now, however, I'm afraid I need to do something more, before the

whole
collection has problems (found more scale today, on a couple of
Angraecums).
Today I picked up Malathion at HD, and on my way to the register

found
product called Organocide, which advertises itself as a
pesticide/fungicide,
and which is comprised of 5% sesame oil, 92% edible fish oil,

and
3%
lecithin. I bought both products.

It's not that I'm completely averse to using chemicals (the
Malathion),
but
like anyone else I'd rather avoid it if possible. Also, swarms

of
geckos
reside in the lanai where most of the plants are, and I don't

want
injure
the beneficial little guys if I can help it.

So my question has to do with the effectiveness of the

Organocide,
and
also
if I use Malathion can I water it through the medium? I need to

do
something very soon; case by case isn't cutting it.

Anyone? Ah, I guess I'm just looking for a little

reinforcement.
Come
Monday morning I'll probably bomb the place with Malathion.

Diana