Old 14-11-2004, 12:23 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] I bit the bullet

Well, I've been known to say that if God had meant trees to grow
indoors, She'd have put them there.

I still subscribe to that belief, but my growing collection now
includes a few trees that MUST come inside when temps get to the
low 40s. (I've had tree inside in years past, but they --
bougainvillea and Texas ebony _probably_ would have survived all
but the coldest days of my winters here.

Anyway, today, I installed a fluorescent grow light because I
have a couple of Ficus now -- and a Serissa in a small pot, and
my grown-from-seed Tamarind never did well on the kitchen
windowsill.

So, window light and one 28-inch fluorescent fixture is AS FAR
AS I'LL COMPROMISE My "integrity." ;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Iris Cohen

Well, I've been known to say that if God had meant trees to grow indoors,
She'd have put them there.
I still subscribe to that belief, but my growing collection now includes a few
trees that MUST come inside when temps get to the low 40s.
So, window light and one 28-inch fluorescent fixture is AS FAR AS I'LL
COMPROMISE My "integrity." ;-)

Piffle! You would sing a different tune if you lived on the 43rd Parallel. Did
God intend humans to live in this forsaken climate, with 119" of snow every
winter? Why shouldn't we grow trees indoors?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

Old 14-11-2004, 01:22 AM
Jim Lewis

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
Well, I've been known to say that if God had meant trees to

grow indoors,
She'd have put them there.
I still subscribe to that belief, but my growing collection now

includes a few
trees that MUST come inside when temps get to the low 40s.
So, window light and one 28-inch fluorescent fixture is AS

FAR AS I'LL
COMPROMISE My "integrity." ;-)

Piffle! You would sing a different tune if you lived on the

43rd Parallel. Did
God intend humans to live in this forsaken climate, with 119"

of snow every
winter?

I've often wondered why people do live there (but then, on
reflection, I'm happy that they do. We have enough people down
here, already. ;-)

Why shouldn't we grow trees indoors?

Oh, you should, by all means, if you want to. I just don't
_want_ to; I've been "forced" to it. (He said, plaintively, all
the while realizing that he didn't HAVE to get those Ficus
nerifolia, and he COULD have talked Jackie out of buying the
Serissa. )

Oh, well.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac
(But don't hold your breath!)

Old 14-11-2004, 01:26 AM
Alan Walker

OK, that's the first step on this slippery slope, Jim!
Next will be a small greenhouse, probably a lean-to sort attached
to some outbuilding. The first year you will discover that you
built it too small by half....
;-)
Alan Walker

Old 14-11-2004, 09:23 AM
Richard Patefield

Jim Lewis wrote:

Well, I've been known to say that if God had meant trees to grow
indoors, She'd have put them there.

I still subscribe to that belief, but my growing collection now
includes a few trees that MUST come inside when temps get to the
low 40s.

I'm amazed this is a crisis for you Jim. All plants belong 'outside'. Do
you worry about your houseplants like this?

For me in zone 9 this is not a crisis of purism or integrity but rather
a question of where I will put my trays of developing material for
serrissa and ficus.

If you really dont want them around Jim, perhaps you could suspend your
light inside a cupboard so you don't have to look at them. They will be
ok there as long as a bit of air occasionally circulates, as I'm sure
you are aware.

regards,
Richard

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 14-11-2004, 02:54 PM
Jim Lewis

On 14 Nov 2004 at 9:20, Richard Patefield wrote:

Jim Lewis wrote:

Well, I've been known to say that if God had meant trees to grow
indoors, She'd have put them there.

I still subscribe to that belief, but my growing collection now
includes a few trees that MUST come inside when temps get to the
low 40s.

I'm amazed this is a crisis for you Jim. All plants belong 'outside'. Do
you worry about your houseplants like this?

I don't have ANY houseplants! Ever! Never! Nohow! (Except,
now, 7 little bonsai.)

For me in zone 9 this is not a crisis of purism or integrity but rather
a question of where I will put my trays of developing material for
serrissa and ficus.

If you really dont want them around Jim, perhaps you could suspend your
light inside a cupboard so you don't have to look at them. They will be
ok there as long as a bit of air occasionally circulates, as I'm sure
you are aware.

Oh, they're OK where they are. Just a pain in the Kazoo.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!