Old 20-07-2003, 10:04 PM
nightwriter

Default repot during bloom?

is this okay? we just bought a beautiful phal that is blooming like crazy
but it's roots are looking a little rough and we'd like to ensure its
longevity.

thanks

Old 20-07-2003, 10:36 PM
LYNN32141

I did this with my orchid and separated it into 2 other plants without any
trouble.. The transplanted blooms lasted the normal 2-3 weeks on the
transplants, then drifted off.. The new transplants are already sending up
flower spikes..

I kept them very well watered, and shaded to make the transition easy for them
for a few weeks, then hung them out with the others of the same variety in my
yard.. They are looking very beautiful.

Lynn

Old 21-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Susan Erickson

You said you had a PHAL... Lynn is not talking about PHAL.
She is talking about something in the Cattleya family.
There is nothing related to a phal that will split and respike in
a month... At least nothing I have met in the last 25 years.
For a Phal. If the media is broken down, and mushy or if the
roots, because you did look, didn't you; are soggy and rotting.
.... Then REPOT. If the roots are sticking out of the top of the
pot and the plant looks like it is trying to run away, be patient
and let it finish it's bloom cycle. But when the spike is done
blooming, trim it back and repot. Remember NOT ALL Phal roots
need to be in the pot. Some Phals prefer to have as much as 1/2
dozen roots out waving in the air. When you repot do not force
all the roots into the pot. You can encourage the bottom ones to
join their under ground cousins, but don't bury the lot.

Does the mix smell? Most mixes that are broken down
significantly will have a sour, or even barn yard odor.

Good Growing,
SuE

Old 21-07-2003, 03:12 AM
LYNN32141

In article ogers.com,
"nightwriter" writes:

thank you lynn. split them, hunh? interesting...!

you're welcome, and yes I split thru the roots where I could easily see new
growth stalks... I kept the majority of the root in tact and planted it in
it's own hanging basket with moss and orchid bark.. It has worked quite well
for me.

Lynn

Old 21-07-2003, 06:43 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

what type of orchid?

Old 21-07-2003, 06:42 PM
LYNN32141

In article , "Jerry
Hoffmeister" writes:

what type of orchid?

It's in the BLC family...

Lynn
Old 22-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Kenni Judd

Repotting while an orchid is in bloom carries a risk [not a certainty, but a
risk] of causing the flowers to drop. If the mix is broken down [stays very
soggy for a long time after you water, or smells bad], or if you suspect
pests in the potting media, I'd say take the risk on this flowering to
better the plant's chance of survival to give you future flowers. But if
it's just that it has a lot of aerial roots outside the pot, then there's no
rush, enjoy the flowers and then repot later.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
e.rogers.com...

Old 22-07-2003, 08:25 PM
Wendy

Good advice here Kenni, I might add that if the roots are bad down under,
the plant should just
fall out if turned over. If the mix is broken down the plant could then be
repotted.
I have cut the flower spike & kept it in a vase & given the plant a fresh
start.
Cheers Wendy
.. .

To Repot or Not to Repot Jane Orchids 5 01-09-2008 04:31 PM
To repot or not to repot, that is the question Jane Orchids 21 03-04-2007 05:32 AM
repot during bloom? nightwriter Orchids 0 20-07-2003 10:03 PM
[IBC] *** [IBC] Hemlock repot ? Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 15-03-2003 06:44 PM
B. Nodosa: to repot or not? Orchids 8 27-02-2003 07:06 AM