Old 06-03-2003, 05:39 PM
Diane Mancino

Default What is in a tag?

I just picked up a untagged out of bloom orchid. Leaves too thin for a catt,
but same mature height- Nice size plant for its price so I bought it. Its
nickname will be Potluck.

Question is, what if this becomes a wonderful plant and it can be
identified. Can I then put a tag on it and possibly show it? Since it was
part of a commercial shipment, I can narrow down the names to what else the
seller brings in from the distributers next time around, and compare those
with the bloom. ( Boston flower markets)Then tag it myself. We all know
tags can be mixed up as easy as losing the tag.

I doubt I will ever need to worry about this, but it would be disappointing
if my best orchid was a mutt I couldn't show.

..

Diane

Old 06-03-2003, 11:34 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Diane,

There are - unfortunately - a lot of "ifs" in that discussion, and those ifs
relate to your "it can be identified" phrase, as that's the problem.

If it is positively identified, sure, label it and move onward. If not...

If it's a species rather than a hybrid, identification is a lot easier. Not
foolproof, but easier. On the assumption that it is a hybrid, you'd need to
contact every vendor that your retail source deals with, and query them as
to whether they supply "cattleya-type" plants to your vendor.

If the answer is yes, then you need to know exactly what hybrids they each
supplied. Once you've got that confirmed, you need to know what pretty much
any variation of each and all of those hybrids look like.

With that found out, you need to know if any are similar to yours. If the
answer is yes, and it's only one, then you've probably got a good bet as to
the ID, and can confidently label it. If there's more than one, youse in a
heapa trouble, as there is really no practical way to know FOR SURE what
you've got.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
I just picked up a untagged out of bloom orchid. Leaves too thin for a

catt,
but same mature height- Nice size plant for its price so I bought it. Its
nickname will be Potluck.

Question is, what if this becomes a wonderful plant and it can be
identified. Can I then put a tag on it and possibly show it? Since it was
part of a commercial shipment, I can narrow down the names to what else

the
seller brings in from the distributers next time around, and compare those
with the bloom. ( Boston flower markets)Then tag it myself. We all know
tags can be mixed up as easy as losing the tag.

I doubt I will ever need to worry about this, but it would be

disappointing
if my best orchid was a mutt I couldn't show.

.

Diane

Old 07-03-2003, 01:12 AM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 18:18:22 -0500, "Ray @ First Rays Orchids"
(Ray @ First Rays Orchids) wrote in Message ID
:

there is really no practical way to know FOR SURE what you've got.

One day, you'll just squeeze a little orchid juice on one of these,
and the identification information will spew forth:
http://lifesciences.perkinelmer.com/...icro_index.asp

Old 08-03-2003, 09:25 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 21:07:54 -0500, "Ray @ First Rays Orchids"
(Ray @ First Rays Orchids) wrote in Message ID
:

If only it was now!

It sounds like a good project for a talented engineer. :-)

Lost Tag Unknown Red Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 18-04-2009 09:11 PM
Decipher my name tag [email protected] Orchids 8 12-12-2003 03:12 AM
Six-Pack's Tag said Early Girl, Fruit is Cherry Tomatoes........ Richard Shelter Edible Gardening 17 16-07-2003 02:22 PM
Tag Name Question Wendy Orchids 10 02-04-2003 06:44 PM
my sig tag file: mad Ponds 0 18-02-2003 07:27 PM