Old 08-12-2003, 02:03 AM

Default Decipher my name tag

I bought an orchid today and should be a Phal. but the tag says:

MAY 0303LFO4B0216
Dpts. Sun Chen Beauty x P. Carmela Pixie

Can someone read all they can from this and then post it - trying to
look up a picture of it, at least the cross parents, thanks ......Burr

Old 08-12-2003, 02:33 AM
tbell

That would be Doritaenopsis Sun Chen 'Beauty' x Phalaenopsis Carmela
Pixie. I was unable to find the parentage of either or a registered cross of
these parents on the RHS site. Your blooms should most nearly resemble a
typical Phal. See recent posts re how dilute the Doritis influence has
become in crosses with Phalaenopsis.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
(To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)

Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids

Old 08-12-2003, 02:33 AM

I put the name on search (with web tv) and got a pic. of my plant.
A shade of red with a little white center.

Old 08-12-2003, 03:02 AM

Thanks Tom

Old 08-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Tio Super

The Doritaenopsis parent's name is misspelled. Ti is, Dtps Shin Sheh Beauty

Genealogy of Unregistered Hybrid

Unregistered Hybrid = Dtps Shin Sheh Beauty X Phal Carmela's Pixie
Dtps Shin Sheh Beauty = Dtps Sun Heart X Phal Blue Wave 1992
Phal Carmela's Pixie = Phal Terilyn Fujitake X Phal Cassandra 1990
Dtps Sun Heart = Dtps Ta Bei Chou X Phal Meteor 1992
Phal Blue Wave = Phal Modern Stripes X Phal Chiali Stripe 1992
Phal Terilyn Fujitake = Phal Pink Fantasy X Phal stuartiana 1983
Phal Cassandra = Phal equestris X Phal stuartiana 1896
Dtps Ta Bei Chou = Phal Abendrot X Dtps Chia Lin 1987
Phal Meteor = Phal Zauberrot X Phal Zauberrose 1982
Phal Modern Stripes = Phal Freed's Danseuse X Phal Chiali Stripe 1987
Phal Chiali Stripe = Phal Cindy Tsai X Phal Lucky Shenk 1983
Phal Pink Fantasy = Phal Percy Porter X Phal Suwanee 1978
Phal stuartiana = species
Phal equestris = species
Phal Abendrot = Phal Lippezauber X Phal Lippstadt 1974
Dtps Chia Lin = Dtps James Hall X Phal Johanna 1982
Phal Zauberrot = Phal Lippezauber X Phal Zauberrose 1975
Phal Zauberrose = Phal Lipperose X Phal Lippezauber 1972
Phal Freed's Danseuse = Phal Ella Freed X Phal Career Girl 1975
Phal Cindy Tsai = Phal Red Lip X Phal Jiminy Cricket 1975
Phal Lucky Shenk = Phal Lucky Lady X Phal Carter Shenk 1979
Phal Percy Porter = Phal Harlequin X Phal Mildred Karleen 1970
Phal Suwanee = Phal Cassandra X Phal Barbara Beard 1970
Phal Lippezauber = Phal Doris Wells X Phal Zada 1969
Phal Lippstadt = Phal Doris Wells X Phal Lipperose 1971
Dtps James Hall = Dtps Red Lip X Phal Barbara Moler 1976
Phal Johanna = Phal Ella Freed X Phal Jiminy Cricket 1975
Phal Lipperose = Phal Ruby Wells X Phal Zada 1968
Phal Ella Freed = Phal Show Girl X Phal Samba 1970
Phal Career Girl = Phal Show Girl X Phal Mad Hatter 1971
Phal Red Lip = Phal New Hope X Phal New Era 1965
Phal Jiminy Cricket = Phal Ministripes X Phal Red Lip 1971
Phal Lucky Lady = Phal Phylis-Kay X Phal Mildred Karleen 1969
Phal Carter Shenk = Phal Lois Jansen X Phal Suemid 1972
Phal Harlequin = Phal Rosita X Phal Grace Palm 1959
Phal Mildred Karleen = Phal Judy Karleen X Phal Sharon Karleen 1960
Phal Barbara Beard = Phal Virginia X Phal Zada 1962
Phal Doris Wells = Phal Doris X Phal Ruby Wells 1969
Phal Zada = Phal San Songer X Phal Doris 1958
Dtps Red Lip = Dtps Pink Jewel X Phal Suemid 1968
Phal Barbara Moler = Phal Donnie Brandt X Phal Spica 1971
Phal Ruby Wells = Phal Ruby X Phal Bess Wells 1960
Phal Show Girl = Phal Doris X Phal Lipstick 1964
Phal Samba = Phal Star of Rio X Phal amboinensis 1963
Phal Mad Hatter = Phal Spitfire X Phal Ann Hatter 1965
Phal New Hope = Phal Doris X Phal Firefly 1965
Phal New Era = Phal Grace Palm X Phal Sally Lowrey 1958
Phal Ministripes = Phal Rosy Charm X Phal Pinocchio 1968
Phal Phylis-Kay = Phal Judy Karleen X Phal Sparkle 1966
Phal Lois Jansen = Phal Barbara Beard X Phal Ruby Lips 1969
Phal Suemid = Phal Susan Merkel X Phal Elwyn Middleton 1965
Phal Rosita = Phal Fontainebleau X Phal Roselle 1949
Phal Grace Palm = Phal Doris X Phal Winged Victory 1950
Phal Judy Karleen = Phal Chieftain X Phal Sally Lowrey 1957
Phal Sharon Karleen = Phal Sally Lowrey X Phal Thomas Tucker 1957
Phal Virginia = Phal Alpha X Phal Reve Rose 1939
Phal Doris = Phal Elisabethae X Phal Katherine Siegwart 1940
Phal San Songer = Phal Reve Rose X Phal Marmouset 1954
Dtps Pink Jewel = Dor pulcherrima X Phal Pink Princess 1964
Phal Donnie Brandt = Phal Big Chief X Phal Susan Merkel 1964
Phal Spica = Phal fasciata X Phal lueddemanniana 1969
Phal Ruby = Phal Pink Hawaii X Phal Summit Queen 1956
Phal Bess Wells = Phal amabilis X Phal Rothschildiana 1954
Phal Lipstick = Phal Palm Beach X Phal Star of Rio 1960
Phal Star of Rio = Phal Bataan X Phal lueddemanniana 1956
Phal amboinensis = species
Phal Spitfire = Phal Margaret Bean X Phal Roselle 1960
Phal Ann Hatter = Phal Juanita X Phal New Era 1962
Phal Firefly = Phal Doris X Phal P A Benson 1956
Phal Sally Lowrey = Phal Pua Kea X Phal equestris 1954
Phal Rosy Charm = Phal Hermione X Phal Pink Wave 1962
Phal Pinocchio = Phal White Foam X Phal equestris 1959
Phal Sparkle = Phal Judy Karleen X Phal Ruby Lips 1960
Phal Ruby Lips = Phal Roselle X Phal Doris 1955
Phal Susan Merkel = Phal Chieftain X Phal Palm Beach 1960
Phal Elwyn Middleton = Phal Ruby Lips X Phal Goleta 1962
Phal Fontainebleau = Phal schilleriana X Phal Wiganiae 1930
Phal Roselle = Phal Elisabethae X Phal equestris 1942
Phal Winged Victory = Phal Elisabethae X Phal La Canada 1946
Phal Chieftain = Phal Doris X Phal La Canada 1949
Phal Thomas Tucker = Phal Doris X Phal Karen 1949
Phal Alpha = Phal Confirmation X Phal sanderiana 1932
Phal Reve Rose = Phal Alger X Phal schilleriana 1932
Phal Elisabethae = Phal amabilis X Phal rimestadiana 1927
Phal Katherine Siegwart = Phal amabilis X Phal Gilles Gratiot 1932
Phal Marmouset = Phal Ninon X Phal schilleriana 1943
Dor pulcherrima = species
Phal Pink Princess = Phal Grace Palm X Phal sanderiana 1959
Phal Big Chief = Phal Chieftain X Phal Louise Georgianna 1958
Phal fasciata = species
Phal lueddemanniana = species
Phal Pink Hawaii = Phal Hawaii X Phal Pink Glory 1948
Phal Summit Queen = Phal Summit Snow X Phal Doris 1951
Phal amabilis = species
Phal Rothschildiana = Phal amabilis X Phal schilleriana 1887
Phal Palm Beach = Phal Doris X Phal Cast Iron Monarch 1958
Phal Bataan = Phal amabilis X Phal aphrodite 1943
Phal Margaret Bean = Phal Doris X Phal Altadena 1953
Phal Juanita = Phal Chief Tucker X Phal Grace Palm 1957
Phal P A Benson = unknown X unknown 1945
Phal Pua Kea = Phal Versailles X Phal Yoshino 1944
Phal Hermione = Phal lueddemanniana X Phal stuartiana 1899
Phal Pink Wave = Phal Rosalani X Phal Marmouset 1956
Phal White Foam = Phal Altano X Phal Winged Victory 1956
Phal Goleta = Phal Doris X Phal Margaret Bean 1956
Phal schilleriana = species
Phal Wiganiae = Phal schilleriana X Phal stuartiana 1899
Phal La Canada = Phal Gilles Gratiot X Phal Jeanne D'Arc 1931
Phal Karen = Phal Doris X Phal Katherine Siegwart 1947
Phal Confirmation = Phal rimestadiana X Phal schilleriana 1925
Phal sanderiana = species
Phal Alger = Phal aphrodite X Phal sanderiana 1930
Phal rimestadiana = species
Phal Gilles Gratiot = Phal aphrodite X Phal rimestadiana 1920
Phal Ninon = Phal Alger X Phal Grand Conde 1935
Phal Louise Georgianna = Phal Doris X Phal Venustus 1951
Phal Hawaii = Phal Fontainebleau X Phal schilleriana 1935
Phal Pink Glory = Phal Hawaii X Phal Pamela 1943
Phal Summit Snow = Phal Confirmation X Phal Doris 1950
Phal Cast Iron Monarch = Phal Louise Georgianna X Phal Doris 1957
Phal aphrodite = species
Phal Altadena = Phal La Canada X Phal Psyche 1946
Phal Chief Tucker = Phal Chieftain X Phal Thomas Tucker 1957
Phal Versailles = Phal rimestadiana X Phal sanderiana 1929
Phal Yoshino = Phal amabilis X Phal sanderiana 1924
Phal Rosalani = Phal Rosalie X Phal Monique 1954
Phal Altano = Phal Altadena X Phal Innocence 1948
Phal Jeanne D'Arc = Phal Gilles Gratiot X Phal rimestadiana 1931
Phal Grand Conde = Phal sanderiana X Phal schilleriana 1929
Phal Venustus = Phal Elisabethae X Phal Gilles Gratiot 1933
Phal Pamela = Phal Elisabethae X Phal Fontainebleau 1939
Phal Psyche = Phal Gilles Gratiot X Phal Perle Blanche 1932
Phal Rosalie = Phal Hawaii X Phal schilleriana 1945
Phal Monique = Phal Gilles Gratiot X Phal schilleriana 1936
Phal Innocence = Phal Elisabethae X Phal Psyche 1945
Phal Perle Blanche = Phal Ariadne X Phal Rothschildiana 1896
Phal Ariadne = Phal aphrodite X Phal stuartiana 1896

Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids

Old 11-12-2003, 05:12 AM
J Fortuna

I have seen the cross Dtps Sun-Chen 'Beauty' (yes, I know Tio established
that this is misspelled, but it is misspelled in quite a few places on the
Web) x Phal Carmela's Pixie referred to as Dtps Taisuco's Pixie -- I do not
know whether this necessarily means that you have a "Dtps Taisuco's Pixie"
though -- Is it possible for two plants to be crossed in different ways, for
example if the seed parent and pollen parent are reversed, and result in a
different hybrid name?

By the way, several sites referred to this cross as one of the best
multiflorals around -- of course they were trying to sell it, so maybe they
were not most objective, but you may decide that you prefer to take them at
their word, since you own it :-) I have seen several sites mention that Dtps
Taisuco's Pixie has an AM/AOS. My question to the experts out the Does
this mean that every Taisuco's Pixie can claim the award? or only ones that
are from the same grower as the awarded plant? How does this awarded cross
thing work?

ATTENTION: The stuff below this line may be pure BS, since I am just
guessing.

MAY could be the month when it was last repotted -- the first part of the
number might belong with MAY, meaning that it may have been repotted on May
03, '03? The reason why I think this is possible is that I have seen many
growers put the last potting date on the tag. Of course the number might
just be a serial number in a catalog, but if it is not, would LFO stand for
leaf onset or something like that? and B for bloom?

Joanna

Old 11-12-2003, 11:08 AM
Ray

The cross of Dtps. Sun-Chen Beauty (note there are no single quotes, that's
the whole name of the hybrid, and there is no registered plant called
Sun-Chen that could have a clone called 'Beauty') with Phal Carmela's Pixie
is indeed, Dtps. Taisuco Pixie.

It does not matter which way the cross was made, both are Dtps. Taisuco
Pixie, and if the cross is made with any plants of the same hybrids, they
are, as well.

Based upon my version of Wildcatt, only two cultivars have awards: 'Ching
Ruey' with an HCC/AOS in March of 2001 and later an AM/AOS, and 'Crownfox'
with and AM/AOS. Unless your plant has that particular cultivar name on the
label, it is not likely either.

Awards that are given for plant quality, such as those, stay with that plant
forever. If the plant is divided, or in the case of monopodial plants such
as these, if they grow keikis (basal or on an inflorescence), or are cloned,
the offspring carry the award designations as well, as they are genetically
identical to the awarded plant (I shall avoid discussing genetic changes
that can occur in "over-cloning"). If you pollinate a flower of the awarded
plant from that flower or another on the plant - a "selfing" - the
offspring do not carry the award.

As to the numbers on the tag, my guess is as follows:

The May 0303 might be the date of last repotting, or some other significant
date in the handling of the plant.

I'd also guess that "LFO" refers to the source of the plant, L___ F___
Orchids, just as I sometimes use FRO, and the remaining digits are probably
just their ID for that cross.

Maybe May 3 is when the distributor got them from LFO?

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 12-12-2003, 03:12 AM

Thanks you guys, all the input is very interesting. The plant in
ques. is doing fine. It had a spike that already bloomed - it now has
two shoots coming off of that hence maybe the multiflowering mentioned
above. I'm afraid to go near it with all this talk about SNAPPING
spikes haha. When I bought it the spraghm moss was really tight in it
- I think they used a hammer. I repotted it after I heard all those
horror stories about bugs. Rest assured I'll come running and screaming
to you guys if I see any. I can see from the responses there's some
very informed people in here. Thanks.

Scientific Name Eschsclozia californica COMMON NAME CALIFORNIA POPPY Family Name Papavaraceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 4 23-03-2011 06:44 PM
Scientific Name Salvia mellifera COMMON NAME BLACK SAGE Family Name Lamiaceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 1 23-03-2011 08:22 AM
Name Tag Illegible???? wendy7 Orchids 5 30-08-2006 12:36 PM
Oncidium with name tag typos? [email protected] Orchids 0 24-05-2005 03:56 AM
Tag Name Question Wendy Orchids 10 02-04-2003 06:44 PM