Old 16-08-2003, 06:12 AM
Dave

Default Steam flasking!

Hi all,
I just viewed a very interesting video tape created by Bob Whynott in
Mass. He shows a technique for flasking that doesn't require a laminar flow
"clean box." He shows how the work is done in the atmosphere of steam
generated by a pot of boiling water! He claims a very high success rate.
Has anyone else ever heard of this or used it? Sure would be handy for the
occasional replate I need to do.
Dave

Old 17-08-2003, 06:12 PM
J. Del Col

"Dave" wrote in message .net...
Hi all,
I just viewed a very interesting video tape created by Bob Whynott in
Mass. He shows a technique for flasking that doesn't require a laminar flow
"clean box." He shows how the work is done in the atmosphere of steam
generated by a pot of boiling water! He claims a very high success rate.
Has anyone else ever heard of this or used it? Sure would be handy for the
occasional replate I need to do.
Dave

This is one of the methods commonly used before the introduction of
laminar flow boxes. I read a description of it many years ago in an
orchid book
by a German author whose name escapes me at the moment.

I suspect several other authors have described it too--maybe Rebecca
Tyson Northern?

J. Del Col
Old 17-08-2003, 06:12 PM
J. Del Col

"Dave" wrote in message .net...
Hi all,
I just viewed a very interesting video tape created by Bob Whynott in
Mass. He shows a technique for flasking that doesn't require a laminar flow
"clean box." He shows how the work is done in the atmosphere of steam
generated by a pot of boiling water! He claims a very high success rate.
Has anyone else ever heard of this or used it? Sure would be handy for the
occasional replate I need to do.
Dave

I just remembered the name of that German author---Walter Richter.

His book ---Orchid Ca a Guide to Cultivation and Breeding-- is out of print.

J. Del Col

Old 21-08-2003, 02:32 AM

Hi,
There is a nice photo tutorial on orchid flasking over steam that
is adaptable to other types of seeds @
http://www.orchideenvermehrung.at/

DaveA

Old 27-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Jimr

I agree, it is very HOT!!! I use it when I'm flasking a few using dry
pod method. I spray the screen (I use a grease splatter screen) with
chlorine solution before water has come up to temp. Seeds are already
disinfected and waiting in vials (vacutainer tubes) and need only be
decanted and poured into flask, so there is very limited time over the
steam column. Use a mask as it is difficult to see what you are doing
without leaning right over the flask.
I use a glove box for all other tasks.
Regards,
Jim