Old 18-08-2003, 06:12 PM

Default Should I Join the AOS?

I'm pretty new to orchids. Considering joining the AOS, but not sure
if it makes sense for me. Would like some feedback from members.

I'm not much of a joiner, and have no real interest in socializing, or
in competition. But, I like good magazines, I'd like to know "what's
going on" in the orchid world, and it seems like the AOS does a lot of
things that might be worth supporting.

So, what do you think? Given my tastes, is AOS membership "worth it"?

TIA

Gannet
St. Petersburg, Florida USA
Old 18-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Cecil Kimber

Gannet,
The main benefit I see to AOS membership is a monthly magazine. It's
well done, with pretty pictures. If it occasionally covers a topic of
interest or sparks interest in something new and you find that of value,
only you can say if it's worth it. They sponsor some very worthwhile
activities beyond plant shows. They at least try to address some of the
conservation issues we all must face. They are a source of expertise for
regulatory agencies that impact our hobby and do provide a real service
there.
I agree with you on shows and socializing. I'm not into "potlucks" and
such myself. I do think the money is well spent in joining AOS even though
I'll probably never see their grand facility in Florida. It is particularly
a good deal if you do business with any of the several vendors who have
agreed to give discounts that can go far in compensating you for your dues.
Cec

Old 22-08-2003, 06:04 AM
profpam

Hi,

The AOS is worth joining for the sake of the magazine -- ORCHIDS. A kin
to all magazines, your politics is not a requirement. In fact, I have
been a member for many years now, and I don't agree with their Cities
politics and some of their other ventures. But, if one is to consider
the price as the price of a publication/periodical then the money is
well-spent. So be it, I am a happy subscriber.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html
Old 23-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Myrmecodia

wrote in message . ..

So, what do you think? Given my tastes, is AOS membership "worth it"?

Probably, at least for a year to see if you like it. You might also
consider a subscription to Orchid Digest. I get both, but if I were
only going to subscribe to one, I think Orchid Digest would have the
edge. The occasional special issues concentrating on a single genus
are great.
http://www.orchiddigest.com

When I first started growing orchids, I found the advertisements in
the back of the AOS magazine to be very valuable. These days, I just
do google searches to find the specific plants I want and very rarely
order from a printed ad.

You might try looking at a couple of issues of both magazines to see
which you prefer.

Nick

Old 23-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On 22 Aug 2003 18:13:23 -0700, (Myrmecodia)
wrote:

wrote in message . ..

So, what do you think? Given my tastes, is AOS membership "worth it"?

..................... I think Orchid Digest would have the
edge. The occasional special issues concentrating on a single genus
are great.
http://www.orchiddigest.com

............................................, I found the advertisements in
the back of the AOS magazine to be very valuable.

You might try looking at a couple of issues of both magazines to see
which you prefer.

Nick

I think NIck's last sentence says it all. Take both for a year to
decide which fits your life better. AOS is more ad prone than
ODC but Both groups have a political side to them.
ODC has wonderful in depth articles and photo spreads to die for.
AOS is less apt to do these things. AOS has notices of more
shows and judgings (it is the AOS system after all)

We take both. But we had just AOS for well over 10 years before
we discovered ODC.

SuE
Old 24-08-2003, 01:22 AM
Bolero

I am a subscriber to 2 magazines and 2 clubs. I can't recommend magazines
highly enough and I think the work that the AOS does is quite valuable.

I think it's definately worth your while.

Old 24-08-2003, 02:32 AM
Ray

My personal opinion is that 1) It's orchid-related, so 2) worth having.
Period.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
u...

Old 25-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Diane Mancino

I love going to the meetings- thanks to the folks here who helped me find a
club. I don't get any publications, but the meetings are great hands on
lessons and I have received some great bargains on mature plants.

It looks like they needed me too. A small club, I'll be volunteering my free
time- so guess what! I get some friends too!

Diane
Twin State Orchid Society VT/NH

wrote in message
(Myrmecodia) wrote:

Probably, at least for a year to see if you like it. You might also
consider a subscription to Orchid Digest. I get both, but if I were
only going to subscribe to one, I think Orchid Digest would have the
edge. The occasional special issues concentrating on a single genus
are great.
http://www.orchiddigest.com

Nick, thanks for the lead on Orchid Digest. I hadn't seen that one.

Gannet

Old 25-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:18:40 GMT, "Diane Mancino"
wrote:

I love going to the meetings- thanks to the folks here who helped me find a
club. I don't get any publications, but the meetings are great hands on
lessons and I have received some great bargains on mature plants.

It looks like they needed me too. A small club, I'll be volunteering my free
time- so guess what! I get some friends too!

Diane
Twin State Orchid Society VT/NH

What your talking about is not the AOS - But an affiliated
Society. Another great way to find information, divisions, and
Orchid friends. Someone who understands the compulsion you have
to grow these things can be very supporting.

Diane, you need the same AOS membership and Orchid magazine, as
well as Orchid Digest Corporation's magazine, Orchid Digest. I
think the smaller the group, the more the written word helps.
SuE
Old 11-09-2003, 12:05 PM
phil tomlinson

I would certzainlyagsree. The Orchid Digest always has been and still
is, outstanding. Good articles, excellent photographs, and reasonably
priced

Phil

Old 20-09-2003, 09:02 PM
jca

Hi everyone,
I have also been thinking about subscribing to AOS or Orchid Digest.
I am a beginner but have a keen desire to learn more about orchids. I
am particularly interested in Catleyas and cymbidiums. Which of these
two magazines would be more appropriate for me to follow up these
interests? Are there any other magazines out there specifically geared
to the beginner?
Thanks for your suggestions...jca
Old 21-09-2003, 03:32 AM
K Barrett

Well, you won't stay a beginner for long reading either (or both) of these
magazines. I remember when I started out, all the ads used scientific names
for orchids... talk about confusion! But it wasn't long before I knew what
they were. Just keep reading and looking thru reference books (or in this
case lookthem up at Jay's Internet Orchid Species Encyclopedia
http://www.orchidspecies.com)

K Barrett

om...