Old 21-08-2003, 01:22 AM
P.J. Bloodworth

Default fungus among us

I'm relatively new to orchid growing, about a year and a half into my
madness, but I haven't yet heard much discussion about fungi of various
sorts inhabiting the growing medium and what, if anything, one should do
about it.

For instance, I've noticed various tiny mushroom-like fruiting structures
which I don't worry too much about. But lately, in my Angraecum
sesquipedale, I observed a rather vigorous white mycelial mat or fan
spreading throughout the bark-based medium. My thought was: How good can
this be for the longevity of the medium, not to mention the health of the
plant? So I soaked the pot in a Physan 20 solution (1 TBSP/gallon), watered
it a little less and thought I had licked the problem. A couple of weeks
went by and one morning I saw growing out of the bottom drainage hole of the
suspended pot this huge white gilled mushroom with a cap about 3-4 inches in
diameter!

Is this cause for concern, or do orchids and orchid growers just live and
let live?

Jeff

Old 21-08-2003, 02:42 AM
DaveA

Jeff,
Not sure but I would say to much water & not enough light & air
movement.

DaveA

Old 23-08-2003, 05:12 AM
Susan Erickson

wrote:

. A couple of weeks

went by and one morning I saw growing out of the bottom drainage hole of the
suspended pot this huge white gilled mushroom with a cap about 3-4 inches in
diameter!

Is this cause for concern, or do orchids and orchid growers just live and
let live?

Jeff

The only time I have seen anything like this, the mix was old and
had gotten damp in storage before use. Or I did have one friend
who preferred to pot Cymbidiums up in a rather odd mix of barn
waste and "mushroom compost" Which he said provide the hot mix
they needed to grow. To say nothing of the odor which kept them
out of the house or gh until late fall frosts.
SuE

There's a fungus among us Gene Schurg Orchids 7 14-10-2007 02:47 AM
just now, it receives a twig too durable among her think canyon British Nut United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 12:40 PM
Last year, fungus fungus everywhere Natalka Rosalia Maria Roshak Edible Gardening 5 26-01-2005 06:26 PM
A Fungus Among Us Gae Xavier Texas 8 28-09-2003 02:15 AM
A Fungus Among Us Gae Xavier Texas 0 17-09-2003 10:13 PM