Old 26-08-2003, 01:22 AM
mg

Default Help with Onc. ornithorrhyncum

My Onc. ornithorrhyncum is in spike for the first time. The spike is a
scrawny looking thing with 12 or so tiny purple buds spaced along it.
The question I have is about length of time from spike to flower. This
spike has been out for at least a month now and the buds aren't getting
any bigger that I can tell. Otherwise the plant seems basically
healthy, it has a new growth out that is doing well. Anyone have
experience with this species?

Thanks,
-mg

Old 26-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Ray

My understanding is that they're pretty "leggy," and that can vary to a
minor degree depending upon the lighting level it is grown in.

Think of it as a loosely-spaced "flock" of pink butterflies trying to
attract mates, and the presentation makes more sense.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 26-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Michael Gerzog

mg wrote in message ...

This
spike has been out for at least a month now and the buds aren't getting
any bigger that I can tell.

They *are* very slow to flower, as long as the buds don't actually dry
up or turn brown, you're OK.

MG
Old 26-08-2003, 04:32 PM
J. Del Col

mg wrote in message ...
My Onc. ornithorrhyncum is in spike for the first time. The spike is a
scrawny looking thing with 12 or so tiny purple buds spaced along it.
The question I have is about length of time from spike to flower. This
spike has been out for at least a month now and the buds aren't getting
any bigger that I can tell. Otherwise the plant seems basically
healthy, it has a new growth out that is doing well. Anyone have
experience with this species?

Thanks,
-mg

Don't be discouraged.

I have several oncidiums but not this one. Some will put out long spikes
rather quickly and then take their sweet time about developing the buds. Others
bloom fairly rapidly after spiking. I guess it depends on the nature of the beast.

Be patient. (always good advice with orchids)

J. Del Col