Old 17-09-2003, 02:11 AM
Diane Mancino

Default Ugly orchids

Stanhopeas out of bloom are pretty ugly- maybe one good reason for hanging
the plants outside out of the way is so non orchid people don't abuse them-
"oh I accidentally knocked over your ugly plant"
"Dewitt" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:02:53 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

*Any* Cattleya out of bloom is just plain ugly! LOL!!

I never thought out of bloom catts were ugle, just uninteresting. As
another poster mentioned, part of the reason some orchids aren't very
attractive out of bloom is the way we force them to grow in pots.
That tall, leggy catt that tends to flop may look out of place in a
pot, but if it was growing on a tree branch the flopping would be
described as cascading and would give the plant a completely different
look.

Me, I think naked catasetum bulbs rank fairly high on the list of ugly
orchids.

deg

Old 19-09-2003, 10:47 PM
Adel (Ed) Nazzal

By definition, there are no ugly orchids !!

Ed.

femalestrom wrote:

I don't know if they are ugly, but certainly nothing to look
at... all deciduous orchids. But maybe I have gotten used
to the ugliness.

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
"Dewitt" wrote in message
I finally started reading "The Orchid Thief" recently. Last night I
ran across a passage where she says ". . . and all of them [orchids]
are ugly when they aren't flowering." Obviously an untrue statement.
Well grown, some are very attractive when out of bloom. Paph callosum
comes to mind, and the "jewel orchids" are grown specifically for
their foliage. Most aren't ugly out of bloom, just uninteresting.

But, there certainly are some that aren't very attractive out of
bloom. Anyone have an opinion as to which is the ugliest orchid when
out of bloom, even when it is well grown?

deg

Old 20-09-2003, 06:32 PM
House of Paisley

Boy... you have got it bad. I tend to think having a lack of
appreciation for some genus keeps me from wanting so
many. Granted...it is a pretty small group I am not fond
of.... but certainly there must be something you turn your
nose up at.

Crystal

Old 22-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Adel (Ed) Nazzal

Nop, I like them all. Only problem is space and time, which leads to priorities.
Given enough space and time I will try to grow every single orchid species, and
many non orchids.

Happy Growing.