Old 15-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Dewitt

Default Ugly orchids

I finally started reading "The Orchid Thief" recently. Last night I
ran across a passage where she says ". . . and all of them [orchids]
are ugly when they aren't flowering." Obviously an untrue statement.
Well grown, some are very attractive when out of bloom. Paph callosum
comes to mind, and the "jewel orchids" are grown specifically for
their foliage. Most aren't ugly out of bloom, just uninteresting.

But, there certainly are some that aren't very attractive out of
bloom. Anyone have an opinion as to which is the ugliest orchid when
out of bloom, even when it is well grown?

deg
Old 15-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Gene Schurg

.....big catts out of bloom are lanky and pretty ugly looking. I just hide
them on the top shelf until they grow a sheath.

Gene

Old 15-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

How about dendrobium nobile. All those bare pseudobulbs or perhaps the
dendrobium aphyllum, it has also got those bare grey a pseudobulbs.
Cheers
Peter

"Dewitt" schreef in bericht

Old 15-09-2003, 10:04 PM
K Barrett

*Any* Cattleya out of bloom is just plain ugly! LOL!!

K Barrett

link.net...

Old 15-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Nina Baltes

K Barrett wrote:

*Any* Cattleya out of bloom is just plain ugly! LOL!!

They'll punish you for even thinking that, you know. They'll grow a
sheath and rot the buds inside.

:-

Nina
--
C'est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot.
Louis Pasteur

Old 16-09-2003, 01:04 AM
femalestrom

I don't know if they are ugly, but certainly nothing to look
at... all deciduous orchids. But maybe I have gotten used
to the ugliness.

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm

Old 16-09-2003, 02:04 AM
Diana Kulaga

Gee, I don't know. I look at my out of bloom plants and think of the
energy that they are expending on putting out beautiful flowers later on.
How can something that produces such beauty be ugly?

Okay, so much for Shakespeare. Dends with no leaves are bummers. LOL

Diana

Old 16-09-2003, 06:32 AM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:06:45 +0200, "Boystrup Pb, ann,..."
wrote:

How about dendrobium nobile. All those bare pseudobulbs or perhaps the
dendrobium aphyllum, it has also got those bare grey a pseudobulbs.
Cheers
Peter

Can I hedge the fence here. Catts, especially large ones are
ugly as sin. But 1/2 dead Dens with leafless back canes hanging
all over wanting to go every direction but here I wish.

I don't know guys. I guess I am getting used to them all. Ya,
they are not things of beauty..... but are we?

No, don't answer that. I remember the photo in a photo.
Obviously some of us are.

But Catts...

SuE
Old 16-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Just one thing, orchids that grow and rebloom every so often are alive and
reword us for taking care of them. So I would say perhaps they are always
beautifull, on the inside and isn't the wonder of life beautifull?
Cheers
Peter

"Susan Erickson" schreef in bericht

Old 16-09-2003, 12:23 PM
disy

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Gee, I don't know. I look at my out of bloom plants and think of the
energy that they are expending on putting out beautiful flowers later on.
How can something that produces such beauty be ugly?

Okay, so much for Shakespeare. Dends with no leaves are bummers. LOL

Diana

I would have to agree with your last statement, but when all of the plants
are together, I really think they look great - all that green! It always
perks me up to look at them, but then again I usually day dream about them
all blooming at the same time

the other Diana

Old 16-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Diane Mancino

I vote for naked dends also- but after I mounted them onto cork slabs, it
became a work of art. The worst one is hanging upside down ( its green but a
real lazy common one) I'm curious as to how it will grow being its above
the window light. Could get really interesting.

Old 16-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:27:48 +0200, "Boystrup Pb, ann,..."
wrote:

Just one thing, orchids that grow and rebloom every so often are alive and
reword us for taking care of them. So I would say perhaps they are always
beautifull, on the inside and isn't the wonder of life beautifull?
Cheers
Peter

Peter,
Are you saying the only UGLY orchid is a Dead Orchid?
G You have a good point.
SuE
Old 16-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Dewitt

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:02:53 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

*Any* Cattleya out of bloom is just plain ugly! LOL!!

I never thought out of bloom catts were ugle, just uninteresting. As
another poster mentioned, part of the reason some orchids aren't very
attractive out of bloom is the way we force them to grow in pots.
That tall, leggy catt that tends to flop may look out of place in a
pot, but if it was growing on a tree branch the flopping would be
described as cascading and would give the plant a completely different
look.

Me, I think naked catasetum bulbs rank fairly high on the list of ugly
orchids.

deg
Old 16-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Yes I think the only ugly orchid is a dead one, but that doesn't mean that
you can't like one more than the other.