Old 19-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Default Response on best time to water

Maybe, but think about the dendrobium delicatum, the flower is very simalur
to the den Kingianum and for as far as I know is visited by the same bugs.
The same for gongora grossa*galeata,
again the flowers ar simalur to the parents and they are according to the
literature all visited by the same insects.
Also I don't think that vision is an insects most important sens. Maybe for
some but not all.

"Mattias Baecklund" schreef in bericht
fore one most insect pollinators would not be able to distinguish the big
Phal flowers it would just look like a big blob too them and the
reproduction of the flower would not work.

Mattias Baecklund

"Ray" skrev i meddelandet
I'm not sure I'd buy that.... OK, so the flower is bred for

improvement,
so why does that necessarily make it potentially less hardy for life in

the
wild. I also challenge you as to whether a plant under my care can

afford
to be less hardy! Maybe I'm "improving" the hardiness....or at least

the
tolerance.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Shell91" wrote in message
y.com...
Good point. Most probably wouldn't grow in the wild, being bred more

for
looks and less for hardiness and ability to adapt

Shell

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
It is also worth noting that Mother Nature did not create the

hybrids
which
populate most of our collections -- so we don't really know exactly

how
they
would grow in the wild.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Boystrup Pb, ann,..." wrote in message
.be...
!!!!!!!I'm responding in this new message because for some reason

the
group
posting are gone here too. I can't see any postings on ABPO or

RGO.
Botrh
are completely empty on my side. Half an hour ago they were both

full.
There
were over 200 messages visible in both groups now everything is

gone.
!!!!!

Respond to watering

Don't orchids get wet at night to, in nature. When you think of

the
rainforest,
regular rain (day and night) and very high humidity. So why can't

we
make
our plants use to it too? All we need to quarantee is airmovement

and
that
the plant gets a chance to dry up every once in a while. I could

be
in
the
deep end right now, but why not?
And combine it with a regular use of a funguside and other things

don't
think it should be a probleme. For the past 4 years I've been

watering
irregularly and have still not had any problemes. OK I must admit,

if
water in the livingroom at night, the plants are dry about 3 hours
later.
Maybe that's why I've never had any problemes.

Cheers
Peter

Old 19-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Mattias Baecklund

I think you misunderstood me most Phal. hybrids are made to have big flowers
I was referring too them. I can't really see how Kingianum and gongora
grossa
x galeata have with phal hybrids like this one
http://www.klinge.nl/foto/galerie_744.jpg
to do. there flowers aren't tad alike.

Mattias Baecklund

"Boystrup Pb, ann,..." skrev i
meddelandet e...

Old 20-10-2003, 07:22 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Sorry you're right. I thaught that you used phal as an example for a general
statement.
Cheers
Peter

Old 23-10-2003, 10:12 PM
ron doctors

I water by flooding the plants once a week and have done this with our
tap water ( very hard and tastes awful) for ovefr 5 years and have
great plants. The key is to over water so you do not build up salt
deposits on the roots. Also letting the plants dry up between watering
is important. Once my friend looked after my plants and watered every
day... that was a disaster! Rot etc ...
I am in Santa Barbara CA with very dry air and plants are inside the
house.
ron