Old 15-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Default Response on best time to water

!!!!!!!I'm responding in this new message because for some reason the group
posting are gone here too. I can't see any postings on ABPO or RGO. Botrh
are completely empty on my side. Half an hour ago they were both full. There
were over 200 messages visible in both groups now everything is gone. !!!!!

Respond to watering

Don't orchids get wet at night to, in nature. When you think of the
rainforest,
regular rain (day and night) and very high humidity. So why can't we make
our plants use to it too? All we need to quarantee is airmovement and that
the plant gets a chance to dry up every once in a while. I could be in the
deep end right now, but why not?
And combine it with a regular use of a funguside and other things I don't
think it should be a probleme. For the past 4 years I've been watering
irregularly and have still not had any problemes. OK I must admit, if I
water in the livingroom at night, the plants are dry about 3 hours later.
Maybe that's why I've never had any problemes.

Cheers
Peter

Old 16-09-2003, 02:05 AM
Diana Kulaga

!!!!!!!I'm responding in this new message because for some reason the
group
posting are gone here too. I can't see any postings on ABPO or RGO. Botrh
are completely empty on my side. Half an hour ago they were both full.

There
were over 200 messages visible in both groups now everything is gone.

!!!!!

That's happened to me, as well, on occasion. I think the ISPs purge the
groups, but I don't know for sure.

Don't orchids get wet at night to, in nature. When you think of the

rainforest,
regular rain (day and night) and very high humidity. So why can't we make
our plants use to it too? All we need to quarantee is airmovement and that
the plant gets a chance to dry up every once in a while. I could be in the
deep end right now, but why not?

Because we are not growing in the rain forest, naturally. Plants in nature
adapt, and some do die. In nature, no one is there with fungicide to make
up for things that go wrong. If you look at pictures of certain orchids in
nature, you will see that they position themselves so that they do not
perish. I.e., a Phal will not be planted in a pot or basket rightside up,
but will hang so that it can drain and protect its crown. We are arrogant
in thinking that we can grow these plants as nature intended, but still we
try. So, our growing methods attempt to emulate nature, but cannot
duplicate it. We do our best, and love these plants, but to say that we can
provide a natural environment is, for most of us, an illusion.

Diana

Old 16-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Shell91

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
link.net...
!!!!!!!I'm responding in this new message because for some reason the

group
posting are gone here too. I can't see any postings on ABPO or RGO.

Botrh
are completely empty on my side. Half an hour ago they were both full.

There
were over 200 messages visible in both groups now everything is gone.

!!!!!

That's happened to me, as well, on occasion. I think the ISPs purge the
groups, but I don't know for sure.

I think they do. I've noticed this problem a lot more since all the noise
about people downloading copyrighted stuff. It's like the ISP doesn't want
to do the work to find out which groups are posting illegal stuff and which
are not.

Shell

snip

Old 16-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Well Ive just been to the ABPO and everything seems to be back to normal.
The newest postings are visible and in this group everthing seems ok too.
Cheers
Peter
"Shell91" schreef in bericht
y.com...

Old 16-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Kenni Judd

It is also worth noting that Mother Nature did not create the hybrids which
populate most of our collections -- so we don't really know exactly how they
would grow in the wild.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
.be...

Old 16-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Shell91

Good point. Most probably wouldn't grow in the wild, being bred more for
looks and less for hardiness and ability to adapt

Shell

Old 16-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Diana Kulaga

Great point, Kenni, and the species plants that we grow were not (hopefully)
collected in the wild, either.

Diana

Old 16-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Yet mother nature provides us with her own hybrids, like Sarcochilus
*fitzhart, Dendrobium *delicatum and the cross Gongora galeata*grossa. 3
Natural hybrids which buy the way grow very well in my collection. And I
think that we can probably find even more hybrids. Pollination if it works
it mean that mother nature can do it herself so maybe the hybrids also have
there place in nature. Perhaps they are just so uncommon that we just
haven't found them yet.
Cheers
Peter

"Diana Kulaga" schreef in bericht
link.net...

Old 17-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Ray

I'm not sure I'd buy that.... OK, so the flower is bred for improvement,
so why does that necessarily make it potentially less hardy for life in the
wild. I also challenge you as to whether a plant under my care can afford
to be less hardy! Maybe I'm "improving" the hardiness....or at least the
tolerance.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
y.com...

Old 17-09-2003, 12:24 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 00:31:48 +0200, "Boystrup Pb, ann,..."
wrote:
............................... I
think that we can probably find even more hybrids. Pollination if it works
it mean that mother nature can do it herself so maybe the hybrids also have
there place in nature. Perhaps they are just so uncommon that we just
haven't found them yet.
Cheers
Peter

Or is it being wise enough to know what is a natural Hybrid and
what is a new species or a variation on a species.
SuE

Old 17-09-2003, 03:22 AM
Shell91

LOL Some plants I can kill just by walking by them (hopefully orchids aren't
one of them)

Remember those pieces of green fluff they called air plants? They were
popular many years ago when I was in school. I even killed one of them

Shell

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm not sure I'd buy that.... OK, so the flower is bred for improvement,
so why does that necessarily make it potentially less hardy for life in

the
wild. I also challenge you as to whether a plant under my care can afford
to be less hardy! Maybe I'm "improving" the hardiness....or at least the
tolerance.

. . . . . . . . . . .
y.com...

Old 18-09-2003, 06:22 AM
Kevin

While I'm fairly new to orchids, I can't say that any of my plants
care what time I water during the day- however, most of my plants are
very happy with whatever water they get, as I tend to underwater....
And I keep a box fan running all the time in the room with the plants,
and plenty of fresh air, so I don't have very much stagnant air.

Ya'll are telling your stories about killing plants... why is it that
my sal****er fish and coral, 2 dogs, a guinea pig, and too many
orchids live and thrive but I've killed at least a half dozen
Philadandrom's?!? Who makes the list of "hard vs. easy" anyway?

On the watering question- as to frequency- I'm trying to get
everything in the proper medium so that they all are dry the proper
amount by the time I get to watering again... like Phal's in mostly
moss because it drys slowly and the Dends in huge chunks of bark that
dry quickly, so they all could use a drink every Sunday afternoon.
Anyone had luck with such a concept? Yeah, I'm lazy. And what about
semihydro methods (Ray?) and the indivual times between watering?

Thanks again to all...
Kevin
Old 18-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Ray

Kevin,

The nice thing about semi-hydro culture is that - depending on the condition
you grow in and the weather - the period between waterings can be extended
significantly, and even if some plants dry out faster than other, you can
still water them all at the same time, as it's virtually impossible to
overwater.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
om...

Old 19-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Mattias Baecklund

fore one most insect pollinators would not be able to distinguish the big
Phal flowers it would just look like a big blob too them and the
reproduction of the flower would not work.

Mattias Baecklund

"Ray" skrev i meddelandet
I'm not sure I'd buy that.... OK, so the flower is bred for improvement,
so why does that necessarily make it potentially less hardy for life in

the
wild. I also challenge you as to whether a plant under my care can afford
to be less hardy! Maybe I'm "improving" the hardiness....or at least the
tolerance.

y.com...