Old 17-09-2003, 11:03 PM
dd

Default Stupidest thing I've done growing orchids

Is it just me, or have other newbies done really STUPID things to their
plants? My top two: (1) While vacuuming a corner of the sunroom, I took
off the sweeper attachment and used just the vacuum tube. When I
turned to maneuver the hose, I sucked up an orchid while I was looking
the other way. (2) When I bought my first Nobile dendrobium, it bloomed
then dropped its leaves. I though that it must be like a phal's bloom
spikes and promptly cut off all the canes at their base. Then I read
the orchid book for instructions on what to do next...

Sometimes, people ask me whether I'm worried that my cats will do harm
to the orchids. Well, no. The orchids' biggest danger is probably from
me.
Old 17-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Diana Kulaga

Here's a news flash for you: you don't need to be a newbie to do really
weird things in the orchid world! We all have our horror stories here. Not
long ago, I posted a mea culpa. I was repotting a Phal and showing my
husband how delicate the new leaf was, and then I promptly snapped it off.

Duh.......

Diana, whose cat nuzzles the 6 foot Dend on the patio but never hurts it.

Old 17-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Claude

Stupid you said...

After waiting for over a year, one of my Phal finally spike!
Once the spike was about 4 inch long, I wanted to attached it to a bamboo
stick.... and boum.... I snapped the Spike!
I`m still waiting for this one to spike again....

Talk about stupid

Claude

news | Here's a news flash for you: you don't need to be a newbie to do really

Old 18-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Shell91

I haven't done anything stupid...Yet.
Give me time though, I've only had orchids for about 2 weeks.

Shell

Old 18-09-2003, 01:42 AM
K Barrett

Thanks for the chuckle.

That's right up there with Al's cutting a phal spike off right after the
person bought the plant. The look of horror on the person's face was the
first clue he had that he'd done something wrong.... (he'd been snipping
spikes off phals that were too immature to bloom well, so he was in
'snipping mode')

Oh... I guess I'm suppose to mention the stupid things I've done to my
orchids... Nothing as funny as yours though. I usually knock over plants I
want to bring in for judging, ruining the flowers. I've done that so many
times I don't even freak anymore.

K Barrett

Old 18-09-2003, 02:32 AM
mg

OK, here's mine. I bought my first paph in bloom, it was only a single
growth. When it started to put out its first new growth, I snapped it
off and potted it up. Well, it took 4 years, but that growth did
eventually bloom ...

Old 18-09-2003, 06:22 AM
Reka

My stupidest was getting mad because the SLC I had just had that ugly old
brown sheath and wasn't blooming. Cut off the paper thin sheath that
suddenly didn't feel so paper thin any more...and through the juicy green
buds inside! Since then, I leave those ugly sheaths on the plant as long as
they want to stay!
--
Reka
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
"dd" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Is it just me, or have other newbies done really STUPID things to their
plants?

---

Old 18-09-2003, 10:42 AM
Ray

Stupidest thing I've ever done? Growing orchids in the first place.

You can't believe the amount of time and money I've "wasted" since that day!

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 19-09-2003, 12:07 AM
Kye

Well theres your first mistake.... Get out NOW while you still can !

Kye.

. com...

Old 19-09-2003, 12:28 AM
Kye

Well theres your first mistake.... Get out NOW while you still can !

Kye.

. com...

Old 19-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

My worst mistake: 2 years back my dendrobium delicatum had started making a
lot of infloressences, and when I saw the plant, all dried up and with a lot
of brown leaves, I tolk pitty on it and watered it.
Thing is all the nice infloressences withered off. I had forgotten that you
schould'nt water the darn thing when it is about to bloom.
So I had to wait another 2 years for bloom, getting four small flowers for
the first time in 10 years last spring.
Cheers
Peter

"dd" schreef in bericht

Old 19-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Wendy

I posted my story years ago when I first joined this wonderful group.
I had two orchids, one a phal a gift, the other a dendrobium.
My dear hubby had enclosed my patio for me complete with electrical
outlets & one of those indoor ceiling fans.
Well the phal had a spike with bud & 1 flower open. I was so proud, I
held it up
to show my husband & "whop"!!!!
You guessed it, the dreaded ceiling fan was running!
I didn't have to ask the most popular question ever
posted on this news group!*G*
Cheers Wendy

.be...