Old 29-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Flash

Default Using Fluorescent Bulbs

I just bought a Hydro Farm orchid cart (used).

I think the bulbs are no good (maybe ballasts, too!).

What kind of bulbs do orchids need to supplement natural light
indoors?

Used to live in a sunny house, great windows for orchids.

Moved to a house in the woods. Dim every day of the year. The orchids
hate it!

Thanks,

D Flash
Durham, NC
Old 29-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Ray

Another point good for a debate, but I like the GE "Sunlight" bulbs (Chroma
50) or Sylvania "Sunstick," as they have a higher intensity than the
"Gro-Lux" types, and the spectrum is really good, while only costing a buck
or so more than a cool white.--

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 30-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Diane M.

Has anyone tried the halogen plant lights- what do you think of halogen in
general. Wal-Mart has a new line of lighting listed as for plants

"Ray" wrote in message
Another point good for a debate, but I like the GE "Sunlight" bulbs

(Chroma
50) or Sylvania "Sunstick," as they have a higher intensity than the
"Gro-Lux" types, and the spectrum is really good, while only costing a

buck
or so more than a cool white.--

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 30-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Gary Rich

I was doing some confusing reading on this a week or so ago. Lots of
different opinions and lumen/color temerature/phosphor coating info
later I've decided to go with one Chroma 50 and one Chroma 70 in my 2
tube shop light. The chromas have rounded wide band colors and they
overlap well for supplemental plant light, and like Ray said they are
lots cheaper than the Gro-Lux WS tubes.

Old 30-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Gary Rich

Of all the 50 things I read through trying to figure this out - this
article:

http://retirees.uwaterloo.ca/~jerry/orchids/light.html

was the most useful

Old 30-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Tom Randy

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:47:47 -0400, Flash wrote:

I just bought a Hydro Farm orchid cart (used).

I think the bulbs are no good (maybe ballasts, too!).

What kind of bulbs do orchids need to supplement natural light indoors?

Used to live in a sunny house, great windows for orchids.

Moved to a house in the woods. Dim every day of the year. The orchids
hate it!

Thanks,

D Flash
Durham, NC

Regular flourescent bulbs are all you need, no need to waste your money on
the so called "special" bulbs. For a 2 bulb fixture get one warm and one
cool. Replace once a year as the end get dark over time and the light
level drops a bit at the ends.
Old 30-09-2003, 07:02 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

This has been my experience too. I've bloomed seedlings of several genera
less than a year out of flask under standard cool white tubes. Recently, I
added one warm white per shelf (I have 4 - 2 bulb fixtures for a total of 8
4 foot bulbs per shelf).