Old 15-10-2003, 02:02 PM
dd

Default Epidendrum pelleuse ?

I won an out-of-flower orchid. The hand-written tag says "epidendrum
pelleuse." I've done a Google search and looked on the AOS Web site,
and there are many hits for "Epidendrum," but none for "pelleuse" or
Epidendrum pelleuse." (Pelleuse did come up in French, but it does not
appear to be orchid related.) So, did I get something rare and
wonderful--or something that has a misspelled tag?

Whatever it is, it looks very healthy (has a big kiki-like growth), and
it will join the Catts in the sunroom, who will be wintering in a
south-facing window with additional light from an HID MH light.
Old 15-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Diana Kulaga

A search of orchidspecies.com produced nothing. Can you get hold of the
previous owner? He/she might be able to decipher the tag. Pity the poor
soul that gets a tag that I hand wrote!

Diana

Old 15-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Ah, maybe Prosthachea (sp?). Didn't think of that. The Epis and Enc's are
getting reclassified every time I turn around.

Diana

Old 16-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:43:02 GMT, dd
wrote:

I won an out-of-flower orchid. The hand-written tag says "epidendrum
pelleuse." I've done a Google search and looked on the AOS Web site,
and there are many hits for "Epidendrum," but none for "pelleuse" or
Epidendrum pelleuse." (Pelleuse did come up in French, but it does not
appear to be orchid related.) So, did I get something rare and
wonderful--or something that has a misspelled tag?

Whatever it is, it looks very healthy (has a big kiki-like growth), and
it will join the Catts in the sunroom, who will be wintering in a
south-facing window with additional light from an HID MH light.

Can you post a photo of the plant on ABPO?
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
DON'T post it here, although if you can not get A.B.P.O.
we will be happy to follow a URL you post.
I can not find Epi pelleuse in Wildcatt.
Bc Pelleas is as close to the spelling as I can get.
Could you be mistaken about the Epi or could the seller?
Bc Pelleas is B nodosa and C North Star.
If you can bloom this lovely it might be discernable.
I have yet to see a B nodosa cross that did not scream I am 1/2
nodosa.

SuE

Old 16-10-2003, 01:42 PM
J. Del Col

dd wrote in message t...
I won an out-of-flower orchid. The hand-written tag says "epidendrum
pelleuse." I've done a Google search and looked on the AOS Web site,
and there are many hits for "Epidendrum," but none for "pelleuse" or
Epidendrum pelleuse." (Pelleuse did come up in French, but it does not
appear to be orchid related.) So, did I get something rare and
wonderful--or something that has a misspelled tag?

Whatever it is, it looks very healthy (has a big kiki-like growth), and
it will join the Catts in the sunroom, who will be wintering in a
south-facing window with additional light from an HID MH light.

Could "pelleuse" be the cultivar name?

J. Del Col
Old 16-10-2003, 02:32 PM
dd

The printing on the tag is very carefully written. I did, however,
manage to track down the owner, and I sent him an email, asking if he
can clarify this for me. I let you know what I find out.

Old 18-10-2003, 01:42 PM
dd

The previous owner of the orchid says that, like me, he won it several
years ago at a drawing! He says that it's a fall bloomer but that it
didn't bloom this year because it didn't get enough light. When it
does bloom, it has burnt-orange reed-stem flowers. Well, when/if it
blooms, I'll post a photo.