Old 14-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Heaters

As most of you know, we grow outside in south FL, in a lanai under
screening. Last winter, we had some vicious (for here) cold weather.
Unprepared for the duration of it, we ended up carting plants in and out.
The collection is bigger now, and more unwieldy, and 'carting' is not
something I want to do again if we have similar low temps this winter.

Next week, we are installing a 'wet fan' (all weather, out in the rain is
fine) to push air down toward the plants if needed. Now, we're considering
a propane heater. Area is approximately 14 x 18 (all open, of course).
Thinking about a 25,000 BTU heater for the area. Solar heated pool is about
20 feet away, so gives some continuing warmth as well.

Any thoughts? All suggestions much appreciated.

Diana

Old 15-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Ray

The output is probably OK, but you'll want to have the ability to contain
that heat somehow. Consider having a number of cheap, plastic drop-cloths,
for example, to hang from the existing structure. Otherwise, the slightest
breeze makes the heater and the thermal mass of the pool have essentially no
value.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
news

Old 15-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Gene Schurg

Diana,

Could you build an inexpensive frame from PVC pipe that could be draped with
tarps during bad weather. The PVC Pipe frame could be disassembled and
stored during the summer.

Gene

Old 15-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Wendy

Great idea Gene, you always come up with them!
I did this once, before I had a g/h, only I used heavy duty clear
plastic.
I had the front piece stapled & rolled it up on an old broom handle.
Cheers Wendy

nk.net...

Old 15-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks, everyone. Yep, I forgot to mention that we are going to use tarps
or heavy plastic sheeting on the sides. Good idea about the PVC, but don't
think we'll need it. I believe we'll install hooks along the aluminum
struts and put some grommets in the tarps.

I hope this turns out just like our hurricane panels - unused!

Diana

parasene parafin heaters stuart_tawn3 United Kingdom 4 26-01-2004 12:12 AM
Pond Heaters for Sale response tom A Ponds 0 18-01-2004 07:32 PM
Pond Heaters for Sale Craig Ponds 14 16-01-2004 03:04 PM
Paraffin Heaters Stuart Robinson United Kingdom 10 22-09-2003 11:27 PM
Heated substrate? Cable heaters? Kevsmom2000 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 04-07-2003 06:43 AM