Old 18-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Shell91

Default Dend Question

OK, do dends drop thier leaves (as in turn yellow and fall off) and then
grow new ones before blooming? Or do I panic now since the 4 I have are
loosing thier leaves? Also does anyone else have a Masdevillea? Mine lost
ll its leaves and looks pretty bad, should I do anything special like
re-pot or just leave it alone nd hope it comes back?

The fertiliser crisis seems to be over so I want to make sure the plants get
the proper care and survive the winter.

On another tangent, does anyone know anything about propogating cacti and
succulents and lithops from seed? I know these plants grow slowly, what I
don't know is will I be watching a pot of dirt sit there for several years
before I see anything? If anyone knows of a newsgroup for desert plants
please let me know. Southwestern Bell's newsgroups are less than complete.

Thanks for any and all help
Shell

Old 19-11-2003, 12:02 AM
GrlIntrpted

Hi Shell,

"Shell91" wrote in message
m...

OK, do dends drop thier leaves (as in turn yellow and fall off) and then
grow new ones before blooming?

Depends on the Dendrobium, some do others do not. Might there be a name tag
somewhere in the pot? a photo?

Also does anyone else have a Masdevillea? Mine lost
ll its leaves and looks pretty bad, should I do anything special like
re-pot or just leave it alone nd hope it comes back?

Likewise for the Masdevallia, name? is there a tag with a name on it?
I do not believe that it's a good thing for them to lose their leaves.

On another tangent, does anyone know anything about propogating cacti and
succulents and lithops from seed? I know these plants grow slowly, what I
don't know is will I be watching a pot of dirt sit there for several years
before I see anything?

Ouch...a pot a of dirt! why do I cringe when I hear that? g
It's a living world Shell, not a mere pot of dirt .

If anyone knows of a newsgroup for desert plants
please let me know. Southwestern Bell's newsgroups are less than

complete.

Don't know of any, but I would try yahoogroups.

Good luck,
Mariana

Old 19-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Shell91

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
t...
Hi Shell,

"Shell91" wrote in message
m...

OK, do dends drop thier leaves (as in turn yellow and fall off) and then
grow new ones before blooming?

Depends on the Dendrobium, some do others do not. Might there be a name

tag
somewhere in the pot? a photo?

The small one doesn't have a tag. The three big ones are Dendrobium Caesar
Jacque.

Also does anyone else have a Masdevillea? Mine lost
ll its leaves and looks pretty bad, should I do anything special like
re-pot or just leave it alone nd hope it comes back?

Likewise for the Masdevallia, name? is there a tag with a name on it?
I do not believe that it's a good thing for them to lose their leaves.

It's Masdevillea Kimballiana. I have a feeling I may loose this one since
I've had trouble with it since it got here.

On another tangent, does anyone know anything about propogating cacti

and
succulents and lithops from seed? I know these plants grow slowly, what

don't know is will I be watching a pot of dirt sit there for several

years
before I see anything?

Ouch...a pot a of dirt! why do I cringe when I hear that? g
It's a living world Shell, not a mere pot of dirt .

Dirt dirt dirt Or rather cactus and succulent potting medium
What can I say, how about a pot of medium with nothing visible happening

If anyone knows of a newsgroup for desert plants
please let me know. Southwestern Bell's newsgroups are less than

complete.

Don't know of any, but I would try yahoogroups.

Going to try a google search and check out yahoo as well

Good luck,
Mariana

Old 19-11-2003, 05:22 AM
J Fortuna

Since I like to do Web research, and I was intrigued to find out more about
Dends (I had not known before that some Dends loose their leaves and others
don't), so I tried to search for more information on this. For what it's
worth, here are some of the Dendrobium culture pages that I found:

http://www.clanorchids.com/culture/dencult.htm
http://www.sdorchids.com/aos_dend.htm

And here is what looks like a research paper on different types of Dends:
http://www.orchidculture.com/COD/FREE/Den_Art.html

And here is a page on Dend Caesar -- unfortunately it does not mention
whether it is supposed to loose its leaves or not, but it may help you in
figuring out which group its in:
http://www.hfloral.com/General/UH/921.html

Best,
Joanna

"Shell91" wrote in message
m...

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
t...
Hi Shell,

m...

Old 19-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 05:16:17 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

Since I like to do Web research, and I was intrigued to find out more about
Dends (I had not known before that some Dends loose their leaves and others
don't), so I tried to search for more information on this. For what it's
worth, here are some of the Dendrobium culture pages that I found:

http://www.clanorchids.com/culture/dencult.htm
http://www.sdorchids.com/aos_dend.htm

And here is what looks like a research paper on different types of Dends:
http://www.orchidculture.com/COD/FREE/Den_Art.html

And here is a page on Dend Caesar -- unfortunately it does not mention
whether it is supposed to loose its leaves or not, but it may help you in
figuring out which group its in:
http://www.hfloral.com/General/UH/921.html

Best,
Joanna

Den phalaenopsis x Den stratiotes = Den Caesar

SuE

Old 24-11-2003, 07:04 AM
Shell

Thanks, I will check the sites out
Shell

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Since I like to do Web research, and I was intrigued to find out more

about
Dends (I had not known before that some Dends loose their leaves and

others
don't), so I tried to search for more information on this. For what it's
worth, here are some of the Dendrobium culture pages that I found:

http://www.clanorchids.com/culture/dencult.htm
http://www.sdorchids.com/aos_dend.htm

And here is what looks like a research paper on different types of Dends:
http://www.orchidculture.com/COD/FREE/Den_Art.html

And here is a page on Dend Caesar -- unfortunately it does not mention
whether it is supposed to loose its leaves or not, but it may help you in
figuring out which group its in:
http://www.hfloral.com/General/UH/921.html

Best,
Joanna

"Shell91" wrote in message
m...

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
t...
Hi Shell,

"Shell91" wrote in message
m...

[...]

dend stardust/phrag besseae alice83 Orchids 4 15-01-2004 08:19 PM
Dend. grouth pattern gal Orchids 3 07-11-2003 03:02 PM
Dend kiekie gal Orchids 1 01-07-2003 11:34 PM
Dend kiekie gal Orchids 0 29-06-2003 06:32 AM
Dend. anosmum and superbum ?? Damien Schaeffer Orchids 4 30-01-2003 05:07 PM