Old 22-11-2003, 02:05 AM
Diana Kulaga

Default Sad Orchid Situation Update

All,

You may remember that I decided to save a little Brassavola 'no name',
planted in potting soil, at a private sale. I hung it from a live oak,
didn't look at it for almost a week, and today got around to potting it
properly.

Lo and behold, it is full of buds!! I have named it Brassavola rescuana.
The little girl/guy has a will to live, and I love it. Stay tuned!

Diana

Old 22-11-2003, 02:05 AM
Diana Kulaga

Will do, Shell, if the repotting didn't scotch the buds. Even so, if I
hadn't taken it out of the dirt, it would have died.

I am feeling very virtuous.........

How is your collection coming?

Diana

Old 22-11-2003, 02:05 AM
Shell91

It's looking a little ragged right now, all the leaves fell off the
masdevillea and the dends are molting too, but all the others are doing ok
so far Even though someone fertilised them with miracle grow. My family
now has instructions not to water the plants when I have the flu.

Shell

hlink.net...

Old 28-11-2003, 05:22 AM

Hi all. I'm new to growing orchids and enjoy reading your coments-
mostly in hopes of not repeating the same mistakes someone else has
made. I killed my first orchid by letting the water stand in the water
tray-thinking it was no different than a wild orchid's habitat. By the
time I got educated enough to see MY mistake it was too late. I
currently am nursing a two leaved seedling with no roots, yep a
survivor of ground rot. It's a real trooper-put on a tiny new leaf and
faint show of a root. Looking for the lost tag on this one, see I told
you I was new to this. If you guys want to post some of your mistakes
or "don't do this' I'll enjoy reading them-I could really use the tips,
thanks....Burr

Old 28-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Diana Kulaga

Burr,

First, welcome to the group! You will find everyone quite willing to help.
I think your premise of a thread about people's mistakes has merit. A
suggestion, though. This particular thread isn't getting much attention
anymore, so why not send a new post with your query? You'll get answers!

Diana

Old 28-11-2003, 11:11 PM
J Fortuna

Here is one 'don't do this' from my experience:

I once bought an orchid plant from a very reliable grower. It was my very
first Dtps, and my very first plant bought in spike but not yet in bloom.
When I got home, I looked the plant over even more carefully than in the
greenhouse, and noticed little pimples on some of the leaves. I wondered and
worried about what they might be, so I looked on the Web for possible
explanations. I found out about symptoms of various pests and plant
diseases, and before the day was done, I worked myself up to a panic. I was
like a hypochondriac patient who had just read a whole bunch of illness
symptom descriptions, and who had convinced herself that she had them all,
albeit in the early stages. The following morning, I saw a tiny insect on or
near the plant. I wrote a paniced email or two or three to the grower I had
just gotten the plant from, who was incredibly tollerant of my outburst.
Finally, I took the plant to a local nursery where I knew a staff person who
specialized in orchids. Before taking the plant in, I called to ask whether
it would be ok to bring the plant (in my paniced state of mind I was worried
about causing an epidemic in the nursery). When I arrived, and showed the
plant to the person there, she said, something along the lines "Oh, you are
worried about this? This is nothing!" And when I mentioned the tiny insect
that I may have seen, she said "If it was tiny, and there was just one,
don't worry about it." The plant was very healthy, and went on to bloom
beautifully, and became my favorite.

The moral of the story: it's important not to overreact, if one does not
know enough about an issue; don't study all possible symptoms of all
possible pests that might affect orchids, it's scarry stuff, and probably
does not apply; and ask for advice and a second opinion of someone with
experience before (or preferably instead of) making a fool of myself.

Old 29-11-2003, 02:02 AM

See, that's what I need to know, information. Beginner orchid
growers, like myself, try to automatically treat their new orchids like
ordinary house plants--heading right for that potting mix or
overwatering. In your case Joanna you were desperately seeking help
before your orchid crashed. Newbies need to research their new orchids
right away, I panicked alright, about the time my orchid lost it's
blooms and showed signs of dying, too late to save it, so don't be
afraid to ask questions, don't panic and have patience. If you cut
kiekies off or whatever then ask if you should of done that it's too
late. I'm enjoying my 'two leafer' it's trying so hard. Don't want to
repeat my first experience, thanks guys. Now I'll try reposting, some
more good advice.