Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2003, 04:32 AM
Ben Lurkin

Default Phal question??

I wish to begin by thanking several of you for answering dozens of questions
someone else asked for me.

I have been keeping orchids for a few years. Whenever I have a question I
subscribe to this group and read it for several months learn a great deal;
get my question answered and get busy forget to read this group.

This time I returned a couple of months ago with several questions and most
have been answered. But I still have a couple.

I have three cats I purchased at an orchid show in St. Louis a couple years
ago and a variety of Home Depot plants.

I have several that need repotting; one of them has me puzzled. Last year I
bought several orchids at Home Depot between Thanksgiving and Christmas at
75% off as they were "through blooming" One of them was a white Phal with
three spikes that were divided and two of them divided again. There were
several layers of roots covering the planting mix. I left the spikes on the
plant and gave it tender loving care and it soon had 15 blooms on it. All
the roots above the potting mix died. It continued to bloom until I went on
vacation in June. Ten days without water and it was through blooming.

It produced two keikis 14 inches up the spikes. One of which has been
potted and is doing good.

The planting medium is pretty rotten and it is staying wet two long.

Now, here is the problem. The remaining keikie [SP?] is located on an
extension of the main stem. It is 12 inches between the last leaf and the
keikie It has one leaf 11 inches long and two shorter ones. It has three
roots 7 to 10 inches long and one shorter one. If the plant is to survive,
the main stem must branch or put out a side shoot. My experience is small
but I have never seen a Phal with a forked stem.

Does the mother plant have any chance?

If I remove this keikie how do I deal with it? I certainly do not want to
put it in a pot 10 inches deep. Do I break off the roots and pray for new
ones?? Should I break them off now and let them heal and let it start new
ones, before I remove it from the mother plant??

Thanks again for help in the past and thank you for any advise you can give
not.

Ben