Old 21-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Peter Pan

Default Should I?

Thinking on buying a new orchid..

I've looked all around Melbourne, and without going into orchid shows or
private functions, the only place I can buy a Neofinetia is at this place
called Collections Corner (which is a bit of a drive away from me)..
Now.. The only thing they have are very small plants.. They are potted ..
Well .. They're practically the same size as the pictures Shell posted in
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids.

Very little with a few leaves coming out from them..

Now.. Would this be recommended or should I look harder into getting a fully
grown plant?
I've never had an orchid before and the only reason I chose this one was
because, well, it's the one I think looks best..

As well as the fact that it is fragrant.. That's rather appealing too..

I would probably be growing it under fluorecent lights.. (I can build some
sort of mini-greenhouse and set it under the lights, with a little fan
inside it to keep air circulation)..

Still.. I don't know if this would be too hard for me to keep.. Being that I
have not had any experiences with these plants..

Anyway.. Thanks for all your time and help.

---
31.69 nHz = once a year.

Old 21-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Ray

I'm not familiar with the posts on a.b.p.o to which you referred, but
generally mature plants are a bit hardier than seedlings, so will be better
able to tolerate the cultural mistakes of a beginning grower.

Personally, I don't know that I'd recommend a neofinetia as a first orchid,
but if you've read enough about them to understand their needs, and are
comfortable that providing the correct conditions is not a problem, why not?

.. . . . . . . . . . .
u...

Old 21-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Kenni Judd

Neof. falcata is not the easiest plant to grow in So. Fla. [not impossible,
just not the easiest -- personally, I think it is borderline on the heat
tolerance needed here]. There are, however, many nice hybrids made using
falcata and these are usually less "touchy."

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
u...

Old 21-12-2003, 04:02 PM
molli

Could we get a few culture tips? I got one at our OS Christmas party. Right
now I"ve got it in "Vanda" light right under the 400 watt, in a basket in
sphag. Do I treat it like a Vanda? and what are the temp max/min for it? I
dont know if those are two spikes growing or two keikis on one side of
it...still to little to tell.
--

Hugs,
Molli

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Neof. falcata is not the easiest plant to grow in So. Fla. [not

impossible,
just not the easiest -- personally, I think it is borderline on the heat
tolerance needed here]. There are, however, many nice hybrids made using
falcata and these are usually less "touchy."

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
u...

Old 22-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Kenni Judd

Better you should get them from someone with long-term experience. We
purposely don't grow them here, because my few experiments proved that they
were not the "easy-growing" orchids (for our local environment) on which our
business philosophy is based. Given our south Florida location, there are
hundreds, if not thousands, of orchids which our clients can take home, hang
outside, and pretty much let Mother Nature care for, and those are what we
strive to offer, as opposed to plants which will need "fussing over."

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Neof. falcata is not the easiest plant to grow in So. Fla. [not

impossible,
just not the easiest -- personally, I think it is borderline on the heat
tolerance needed here]. There are, however, many nice hybrids made

using
falcata and these are usually less "touchy."

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Peter Pan" wrote in message
u...
Thinking on buying a new orchid..

I've looked all around Melbourne, and without going into orchid shows

or
private functions, the only place I can buy a Neofinetia is at this

place
called Collections Corner (which is a bit of a drive away from me)..
Now.. The only thing they have are very small plants.. They are potted

..

Old 22-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Peter Pan

Hhmm..

I actually live in Melbourne, Australia.. I don't know if this will make
much of a difference as to the weather expected from these plants..

news

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Neof. falcata is not the easiest plant to grow in So. Fla. [not

impossible,
just not the easiest -- personally, I think it is borderline on the

heat
tolerance needed here]. There are, however, many nice hybrids made

using
falcata and these are usually less "touchy."

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
u...

Old 22-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Shell

He's talking about the posts of pictures of my orchids
Many are seedlings but many are mature or blooming size and just small
plants naturally.

Shell

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm not familiar with the posts on a.b.p.o to which you referred, but
generally mature plants are a bit hardier than seedlings, so will be

better
able to tolerate the cultural mistakes of a beginning grower.

Personally, I don't know that I'd recommend a neofinetia as a first

orchid,
but if you've read enough about them to understand their needs, and are
comfortable that providing the correct conditions is not a problem, why

not?

. . . . . . . . . . .
u...

Old 22-12-2003, 02:42 AM
Peter Pan

Yep.. You do have a rather large collection there.. Or, at least to my
standards, anyway. : )

The ones I saw were seedlings.. They were planted on pebble, I think.. And
had about one or two little leaves coming from them.

How long would it take for a plant like this to produce flowers?

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm not familiar with the posts on a.b.p.o to which you referred, but
generally mature plants are a bit hardier than seedlings, so will be

better
able to tolerate the cultural mistakes of a beginning grower.

Personally, I don't know that I'd recommend a neofinetia as a first

orchid,
but if you've read enough about them to understand their needs, and are
comfortable that providing the correct conditions is not a problem, why

not?

. . . . . . . . . . .
u...

Old 22-12-2003, 03:12 AM

Can't help but think all that cosmetic surgery Michael Jackson had
was to look more like HIS ilol Peter Pan. Way out there! Anyway with
your first orchid. Buy a phalaenopsis. It's simple and if you get one
flowering size you can get a seedlng later. I'm new to all this but can
tell you it takes months to grow a spike and see flowers. Just be
patient and don't move your plant around, water it with rain water and
read up on it--a must, orchid care can vary alot.
Hope you find one you like, I asked about one that was at a greenhouse
connected to a lumber supply place. It had shriveled leaves and wasn't
real big. They said it might of been thrown out. I thought eeek!
Where's the trash dumpster--I had my eye on that one and was hoping it
would go on sale. Next time I'll ask. Yes, it was sickly but I enjoy
recoperating the bad ones. Good luck

Old 22-12-2003, 08:12 AM
Kye

Peter Pan,

I know some Aussie here who have been growing established plants of
Neofinitia falcata for over 10 years and still have no flowers. This plant
is NOT in the beginners basket. Knowing the climate of Melbourne, may I
suggest you try some Sarcochilus ( I can suggest a local supplier ) some
Cymbidiums and possibly some Zygopetalums.

Kye.

P.S. Please feel free to reply to this address for more information.
u...

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm not familiar with the posts on a.b.p.o to which you referred, but
generally mature plants are a bit hardier than seedlings, so will be

better
able to tolerate the cultural mistakes of a beginning grower.

Personally, I don't know that I'd recommend a neofinetia as a first

orchid,
but if you've read enough about them to understand their needs, and

are
comfortable that providing the correct conditions is not a problem,

why
not?

. . . . . . . . . . .
u...

Old 22-12-2003, 08:12 AM
Kye

Hes one of my country-kin.... So y'all leave him to me to edumacate on
climatic issues :-P

Kye.

P.S : Melbourne occaisionally has a dry spell, usually never longer than 12
hours and is occaisionally warmer than the fridges inside.

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
u...
Hhmm..

I actually live in Melbourne, Australia.. I don't know if this will make
much of a difference as to the weather expected from these plants..

news

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Neof. falcata is not the easiest plant to grow in So. Fla. [not
impossible,
just not the easiest -- personally, I think it is borderline on the

heat
tolerance needed here]. There are, however, many nice hybrids made

using
falcata and these are usually less "touchy."

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
u...

Old 22-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Shell

Some seedlings take years to produce flowers. Most of mine I expect to
flower next summer or maybe 18 months from now. I do have a spike on at
least one and a couple are in sheath whatever that means I have about 25
plants not counting the small compot that has about 15 or so babies in it.
I am also new to this, having gotten my first orchid, a dendrobium Caesar
Jacque that had one flower on it and was marked down this summer/fall. I
do have a phal which just opened the last bud on the flower spike last
night, a nice peachy yellowish pink, and a ctsm "Pink Fragrance" which is
the one with 9 buds on the flower spike. It is one of the small orchids and
the flowers will be about 2mm, I think. I try to buy blooming size or
mature plants if I can, but sometimes all I can afford is a seedling.

Shell

u...

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm not familiar with the posts on a.b.p.o to which you referred, but
generally mature plants are a bit hardier than seedlings, so will be

better
able to tolerate the cultural mistakes of a beginning grower.

Personally, I don't know that I'd recommend a neofinetia as a first

orchid,
but if you've read enough about them to understand their needs, and

are
comfortable that providing the correct conditions is not a problem,

why
not?

. . . . . . . . . . .
u...

Old 22-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Shell

Lowe's is good about marking stuff down. Home Depot doesnt do it anymore
because too many people were bringing plants back and getting full price
refunds. At least at the one close to me. I had my eye on a raggedy Dend
that needed a lot of help

Shell

Old 22-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Shell

lol sounds like houston. except for being warmer than the fridges inside.
occaisionally we're a bit cooler than a steam bath.

Shell

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
u...
Hhmm..

I actually live in Melbourne, Australia.. I don't know if this will make
much of a difference as to the weather expected from these plants..

news

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Neof. falcata is not the easiest plant to grow in So. Fla. [not
impossible,
just not the easiest -- personally, I think it is borderline on

the
heat
tolerance needed here]. There are, however, many nice hybrids

made
using
falcata and these are usually less "touchy."

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
u...

Old 22-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Kye

hmmm... Well sounds like you DEFINATELY dont grow Pleurothallids and
Dracula's there....

Dont we have some other members in Houston???

Kye.

m...

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
u...
Hhmm..

I actually live in Melbourne, Australia.. I don't know if this will

make
much of a difference as to the weather expected from these plants..

news Better you should get them from someone with long-term experience.

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Neof. falcata is not the easiest plant to grow in So. Fla. [not
impossible,
just not the easiest -- personally, I think it is borderline on

the
heat
tolerance needed here]. There are, however, many nice hybrids

made
using
falcata and these are usually less "touchy."

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com