Old 08-01-2004, 04:02 AM
J Fortuna

Default Kids and Orchids

The other day a ten year old daughter of friends of mine was trying to
persuade me that I should get a virtual pet, so I retaliated by trying to
persuade her that orchids are better than virtual pets (I don't think I
convinced her).

Any of you have or know kids who are really into orchids? Or any of you were
really into orchids when you were kids?

Just wondering,
Joanna

Old 08-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 03:57:35 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

The other day a ten year old daughter of friends of mine was trying to
persuade me that I should get a virtual pet, so I retaliated by trying to
persuade her that orchids are better than virtual pets (I don't think I
convinced her).

Any of you have or know kids who are really into orchids? Or any of you were
really into orchids when you were kids?

Just wondering,
Joanna

We have a member who is 15, I think - but he could have gained a
year on me. He has been growing for at least 3 if not 4 years.
He also takes beautiful photos in situ. Molli, who is among the
missing this week, has conscripted her daughter quite
successfully - The daughter used to grow Bonsai. We have a
couple of other young ones, but I can not tie them to families
today.
SuE
Old 08-01-2004, 10:42 AM
molli

Molli has been trying to battle the cold from Hades! Cold won.. I
originally started out with my 16 yr old, but she has the attention span of
a flea....my 24 yr old now has the orchid bug, and still grows Bonsai. I
think our youngest member is around 8, cute little girl who is being quite
successful in her endeavors.

--

Hugs,
Molli

Old 08-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Kenni Judd

There's a young man who always visits my booth, and usually buys, at the
PSLOS show; I'd guess he might be 15 or 16 by now, but he's already been at
it for 3 or 4 years. Knows his stuff, too -- better than many of the
grownups!

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 08-01-2004, 09:04 PM
ARIET B

I have met, in the last couple of years, at least two young men (in the 7-12
range somewhere) who were bordering on "orchid-savant" material.
It just blows your mind. The seemed to have retaned every iota that they ever
read...
Some take to it, and some don't. Just like everything else.
Elinor

Old 08-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Diana Kulaga

Kenni,

There was an article in the PSL Tribune a couple of years ago about a young
fella who would be just that age now. Can't remember his name, but he was
definitely an early orchoholic. Bet it's the same boy.

Diana

Old 10-01-2004, 06:02 PM
John Mallery

My son asked for an orchid for Christmas when he was 9 years old. Since that
time his interest and knowledge has significantly increased. He clerked at
the St. Louis Orchid Society Show when he was ten, and celebrated his 11th
birthday at the Springfield Orchid Society Show where he also clerked. One
of the difficult things for him is that none of his peers understand or want
to understand his passion. He is in middle school now and is taking alot of
heat for his interests. I have told him to "hang in there" because when he
gets a little older, girls will find it interesting - and that is a good
thing.

I think it is important to cultivate an interest in children - for many
reasons. One commercial grower I talked to was interested in having a kids
orchid "event" where they could learn about orchids, repot an orchid and
then take the orchid home with them. He was even willing to provide the
plants for the event. I think this would be a worthwhile event for any
society to undertake.

John

Old 10-01-2004, 06:12 PM
J Fortuna

John,

This reminds me of an essay by biologist Stephen Gould, in which he
remembers that when he was a boy, dinosaurs were not in fashion as a boy's
hobby yet. He was one of the early ones to be fascinated by dynos. In school
they called him 'fossil face'.

So, considering that dynos are now the thing for a boy to be interested in,
and also since the popularity of orchids is still growing, I hope that in a
future generation boys and girls will no longer consider this a weird hobby.

Joanna

Old 10-01-2004, 06:12 PM
K Barrett

I think its importtant to start learning this stuff at a young age when the
brain's a sponge and can soak up this info effortlessly. (She said
jealously)

K Barrett

Old 10-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:10:30 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

I think its importtant to start learning this stuff at a young age when the
brain's a sponge and can soak up this info effortlessly. (She said
jealously)

K Barrett

I know what you mean. But there is hope. Lately when I type
something, I can look and marvel that I got the Latin right.
Every time it happens I celebrate. Mind you I still double check
those names. G
SuE
Old 10-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

I started when i was 13 back in 1993. Still holding on and for me this hobby
gives me some rest in my sometimes hectik schedule. I've always found pease
in repotting and caring for these beauties.
I love the colors, the chalange and tranquility they bring. And basicly they
are the only plants I can keep alive.
It all started with my mother and now I know more about them then se does.
In fact she says that it is starting to get a bit much.
But what can I do, every time i see a plant that I like, It's like they talk
to me. (take me with you, take me with you)

Cheers
Cheers
Peter
www.pnporchids.be

"J Fortuna" schreef in bericht

Old 10-01-2004, 10:02 PM
John Mallery

One of the attractions for me is that encouraging my children to grow and
collect orchids is that there is an opportunity for them to learn other
things as well:

Geography - where does a particlular orchid grow?
History - when whas it first discovered and by whom?
Botany - self explanatory
Biology - what pollinates this particular orchid, "binomial system of
nomenclature"
Natural History/Ecology - is it "extinct" in the wild, what are orchid
companion plants, etc.

My son was very excited when they were studying Central America in school
and they began discussing Costa Rica's national flower, Cattleya skinneri.
He was able to say, "Hey, we have one of those!"

I think recognizing that orchids do not just exist in hobbyist greenhouses
goes a long way to providing both enjoyment and education to our children.

"Boystrup Pb, ann,..." wrote in
message ...

Old 11-01-2004, 07:33 AM
Reka

wrote:

I think its importtant to start learning this stuff at a young age when

the
brain's a sponge and can soak up this info effortlessly. (She said
jealously)

K Barrett

I know what you mean. But there is hope. Lately when I type
something, I can look and marvel that I got the Latin right.
Every time it happens I celebrate. Mind you I still double check
those names. G
SuE

Yeah, now we just have to learn how to PRONOUNCE them all right...
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---