Old 22-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Ray

Default Natural Hybrids Help Needed

The old biology book I am using says that the "X" precedes a the genus name
in a multigeneric natural hybrid, and the grex name in a interspecies hybrid
of the same genus, but also says both are usually left out...

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Al" wrote in message
PS. The book also says "In horticultural orchid literature the
multiplication sign in front of 'hybrid-generic names' is usually omitted

in
both natural and artificial intergeneric hybrids." I suppose they are
pointing out by this that this would not be true in botanical literature.

"Ray" wrote in message
Thanks, Al.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Al" wrote in message
Straight out of "The Handbook on Orchid Nomenclature and Registration"

4th
edition 1993
Page 4 under The names of Natural Hybrids of Orchids
there are two examples cited:

"x Laeliocattleya leeana 'Picardy' is the cultivar name of a cultivar

of
the
natural intergeneric hybrid between Cattleya loddigesii and Laelia

pumila"

"x Dactyglossum mixtum (Dactylorhiza fuchsii x Coeloglossum viride)"

I think, somewhere in this book is a paragraph explaining which name

takes
precedence, the artificial grex name or natural hybrid name, depending

on
when the plant in question was identified as a natural hybrid versus

when
it
was registered as an artificial hybrid, but I can't find it.

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm putting together a piece on how orchids are named, or should I

say
the
way the names are written, and need some examples of natural

hybrids,
both
inter-species and intergeneric.

I believe that Paph X wellesleyanum (concolor x godefroyae) is an
inter-specific example, but I can't think of any intergenerics.

Anyone know any good examples?

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Ray

"Al" wrote in message
PS. The book also says "In horticultural orchid literature the
multiplication sign in front of 'hybrid-generic names' is usually omitted

in
both natural and artificial intergeneric hybrids." I suppose they are
pointing out by this that this would not be true in botanical literature.

"Ray" wrote in message
Thanks, Al.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-01-2004, 08:52 PM
Ray

"Al" wrote in message
PS. The book also says "In horticultural orchid literature the
multiplication sign in front of 'hybrid-generic names' is usually omitted

in
both natural and artificial intergeneric hybrids." I suppose they are
pointing out by this that this would not be true in botanical literature.

"Ray" wrote in message
Thanks, Al.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 23-01-2004, 05:44 AM

Hi, I have a Doritis- Phalaenopsis cross. Doritaenopsis. It says on
it's tag: Dpts. Sun Chen Beauty x P. Carmela Pixie. It had a dead spike
when I bought it but started a branching effect. One branch was appox.
an inch long when I bought it, grew to about 8 inches long and now has a
bloom.(the other is there just formed but in a dormant state.) It
blooms a beautiful pink blossom with veins and a red lip. It had two
buds but like the post says above if your room gets too hot or the plant
goes through too radical of a temperature change it can abort it's buds.
I was lucky and only lost one. The branches grow a little smaller than
the spike so I support it by using a pipe cleaner running from the
curved overhead spike down to the branch. Works great. (I did this
because another post mentioned the weight of the blossoms could break
off a branch.) I also mix my spragm (sp) moss and coconut husks. This
also works great as it probably helps in the compacting problem. Hope
this helps......me

Old 23-01-2004, 05:44 AM

Also how about Neostylus?

Old 23-01-2004, 05:44 AM

Also how about Neostylus?

Old 24-01-2004, 05:12 AM

Thank you Sue......Burr

Old 25-01-2004, 01:13 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Natural hybrids like Dendrobium *delicatum (= den kingianum*den speciosum)
and sarcochillus *fitshart (=sarco fitsgeraldi*hartmanii) are not written
with a capital letter. They are written like normal species, jus with a X or
* in front of it. Another orchid I know of is cattleya *guatemalensis (=catt
aurantiaca*catt skinneri)
Cheers
Peter

"Al" schreef in bericht