Old 22-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Ray

Default Natural Hybrids Help Needed

I'm putting together a piece on how orchids are named, or should I say the
way the names are written, and need some examples of natural hybrids, both
inter-species and intergeneric.

I believe that Paph X wellesleyanum (concolor x godefroyae) is an
inter-specific example, but I can't think of any intergenerics.

Anyone know any good examples?

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-01-2004, 05:57 PM
Al

Straight out of "The Handbook on Orchid Nomenclature and Registration" 4th
edition 1993
Page 4 under The names of Natural Hybrids of Orchids
there are two examples cited:

"x Laeliocattleya leeana 'Picardy' is the cultivar name of a cultivar of the
natural intergeneric hybrid between Cattleya loddigesii and Laelia pumila"

"x Dactyglossum mixtum (Dactylorhiza fuchsii x Coeloglossum viride)"

I think, somewhere in this book is a paragraph explaining which name takes
precedence, the artificial grex name or natural hybrid name, depending on
when the plant in question was identified as a natural hybrid versus when it
was registered as an artificial hybrid, but I can't find it.

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm putting together a piece on how orchids are named, or should I say the
way the names are written, and need some examples of natural hybrids, both
inter-species and intergeneric.

I believe that Paph X wellesleyanum (concolor x godefroyae) is an
inter-specific example, but I can't think of any intergenerics.

Anyone know any good examples?

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Ray

Thanks, Al.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Al

PS. The book also says "In horticultural orchid literature the
multiplication sign in front of 'hybrid-generic names' is usually omitted in
both natural and artificial intergeneric hybrids." I suppose they are
pointing out by this that this would not be true in botanical literature.

"Ray" wrote in message
Thanks, Al.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Ray

Thanks, Al.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Ray

Thanks, Al.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Al

PS. The book also says "In horticultural orchid literature the
multiplication sign in front of 'hybrid-generic names' is usually omitted in
both natural and artificial intergeneric hybrids." I suppose they are
pointing out by this that this would not be true in botanical literature.

"Ray" wrote in message
Thanks, Al.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Al

PS. The book also says "In horticultural orchid literature the
multiplication sign in front of 'hybrid-generic names' is usually omitted in
both natural and artificial intergeneric hybrids." I suppose they are
pointing out by this that this would not be true in botanical literature.

"Ray" wrote in message
Thanks, Al.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Rob Halgren

Ray wrote:

I'm putting together a piece on how orchids are named, or should I say the
way the names are written, and need some examples of natural hybrids, both
inter-species and intergeneric.

I believe that Paph X wellesleyanum (concolor x godefroyae) is an
inter-specific example, but I can't think of any intergenerics.

Anyone know any good examples?

I don't know if it is formally codified, but I have seen natural hybrids
written as (for example)

Paph. x Fanaticum (or x fanaticum)
Milt. x Bluntii (or x bluntii)
Catt. x Guatamalensis

etc (If you look, you will find some intergeneric laelia x catt natural
hybrids, like Lc xElegans.

However, the 'x' seems to be reserved for naturally occuring
populations, and if the cross is made on purpose, I've seen people
remove the 'x'. Or name it something else altogether, which doesn't
sound right.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit