Old 01-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Ray

Default Who We Are (revisited)

Federal Government brat...

My current location is actually residence # 18

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Reka" wrote in message

"Ray" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
OK, my turn...

*I'm about two months' shy of 52, and have been growing orchids for over

30
years.

Well, Ray, *shy* is not one of hte words I would use to describe you.
Reading about your moves: this sounds like army brat?

It's almost like I was destined to grow them: At age 6 I moved to

Linwood,
NJ and was about 3 blocks from Waldor. I was aware of the greenhouses,

but
didn't know what was in them. At age 10 I moved to England, and was

about
mile from a very large paph range, but saw nothing in them. A few years
later I ended up in NW DC, and the Kensington area was one of my high

school
stomping grounds...again close to orchids, but didn't know it. As a

junior
at Ga Tech, I started volunteering my free time at the public

greenhouses
in
Piedmont Park (now the Atlanta Botanical Garden). About a year into

that
started watering the orchid house, and ran into a school buddy, Roger
Huntington. I mentioned that I didn't know he was into orchids, and the
folks around me started laughing. Yep, his dad is Merritt, who owned
Kensington Orchids and was some official in the AOS at that time...

---

Old 01-02-2004, 11:12 PM
J Fortuna

Ray,

I at first thought "residence #18" what's that, is that like the "White
House" or "US Naval Observatory" (the Vice President's mansion). I thought
you were making a reference to a place where you were at the current moment
when sending the email, and that it was some federal government residence
that I ought to recognize by reference.

Then (after a while, thought process not working fast here) it occurred to
me that you probably meant that this is the 18th home that you have called
your permanent residence. Is that it? If so, it's only your 18th, and you
are 52. Hey, that's a stable life you've been living! I had lots of trouble
putting together the list of all the addresses I have lived in for the past
10 years for the US citizenship application, I think I came up with 8, and
if I had to go over my entire life that would be 12 so far, and I am only 30
years old. And I am not an army brat, and not a federal brat, or anything
like that ... come to think of it I don't consider myself a brat at all.
Though I guess most brats do not consider themselves one. ;-)

I am hoping to have more residences in the future, because I want more space
for my orchids, and ideally a greenhouse someday, and it's hard to have that
in an apartment. But I do hope not to have to change residences at quite
such a rate any more. I think it might be traumatic for the orchids to need
to get acclimated to a new space so often. (Though this is true, I am mainly
kidding, as I am not quite such an orchid nut to arrange my life for the
benefit of the orchids alone. I have told my husband though that I do hope
to someday grow roots like a turnip, meaning settle down in one place.)

Joanna

Old 01-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Diana Kulaga

Ham extraordinaire.

Gee, we never would have guessed that if you hadn't told us, Diana! ;-)

Point acknowledged, Reka! I've never been accused of being a shrinking
violet (forgive me for mentioning another type of plant!). So, I'm having a
good time doing Orchid Clinics for our society, which is part of my job
description as VP. I get to jump around and break the attendees into
groups, and generally shake up the prevailing order. Girls just gotta have
fun, after all.

Diana

Old 09-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Eric Hunt

Kye,

I ran into Gary in Ecuador last week! He was with a group touring the
country and I was with a different group, from the USA, touring the country.

We ran into each other in Gualaceo at the hosteria where we were both
staying, which is right outside of the world-famous Ecuagenera, and then we
ran into each other again the night of the Quito show opening.

Great guy, glad I was finally able to meet him after so many emails.

When I first saw him at the hosteria at dinner one night, I kept saying to
myself "I know that face, I know that face" and it wasn't until breakfast
the next morning when we were introduced that it came clear - I knew his
face from his webpage!

Anyway, small world, I thought.

-Eric in SF

"Kye" wrote in message
Why am I blushing???

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

I am Kye and I am Male

Where am I? Where do I grow?

I am in Australia and I grow my plant everywhere from my bathroom to my
bedroom to my back verandah + yard and about to build a new bush house too

What do I grow?

Species... More specifically Jewel Orchids, Phals, Pleurothallids, Paphs,
Phrags, assorted aussie natives, terrestrials, vandaceous alliance,
Dendrobes, ... Lets just leave it at species huh... If its there I want it
:-P

The decade of my age?

Exactly mid 20's

How long have I been growing orchids?

A few years now, mabe three maybe four they just kept turning up......

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

( Who thought of these questions... this is a toughie... ) Umm.... Keeping
my Cryptostylis erecta alive and flowering. Especially since this plant
travelled around three states at the beginning of last year with me on
trains, planes and automobiles in a pot, while waiting for me to decide
where I wanted to live.

Miscellanious Info...

I am the editor and web-master for The Australian Paphiopedilum Society

and
member of the Executive Committee.

I am hoping to train to become a botanical taxonomist.

Currently I work for Gary Yong Gee maintaining his orchid collection and
bush-house and (try to) run my own IT business

I am not humble but that never stopped me being ignorant.

I am single and the oldies in the group all remember that doosie I am sure
:-P

I created news://alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Yeah thats me -)
Kye.
... I provide bad-pics on application :-D
( Except for me nekkid in the tree with the Dockrillia bowmannii ... old
joke sorry )

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Hey, I just located this thread from November 2001

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...ptusnet.com.au
Kye had this idea of asking rgo'ers to introduce themselves a bit. I

think
this might be worthwhile to revisit with current posters (and any

lurkers
who wish to participate).

Here are Kye's questions and my answers:

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Joanna, guess

Where am I? Where do I grow?

Alexandria, Virginia (Washington DC area, USA) -- new US Citizen :-)
Windowsills and shelves of one and a half bedroom apartment

(northern
exposure with supplemental grow lights)

What do I grow?

11 Phals/Dtps + 1 cochleanthes amazonica

The decade of my age?

30s

How long have I been growing orchids?

It will be 3 years in 2003. Got my first orchid as a wedding gift --
probably would not have gotten as hooked into the hobby if I had not
accidentally decapitated it a couple of weeks later. Remorse was a

strong
initial driver. Then a keiki. Then reblooming. And then I became an

addict.
I am beginning to feel the craving again ... DC Orchid Fair next

weekend,
perfect timing!

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Getting 5 of my orchids to rebloom or initiate spike under my care

so
far, and those that I have had long enough, have rebloomed more than

once.
:-)

Miscellanious Info...

I am a Web application developer, working as a contractor for the
federal government (they closed 3 hours early today because of

snow/ice).
tend to get really excited by whatever my main passion of the
hour/day/month/year/decade is (orchids, crocheting, reading, Web

searching,
etc.).

Old 18-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Reka

Well, I am listening to a webcast of the Linfield game (thanks for the
airfare, Al - not!!) ;-), so I am stuck at the computer long enough to
participate in this thread.

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Reka, female

Where am I? Where do I grow?

Northern Italy, but native of the most beautiful State in the US.
Any available space which gets light. :-) More specifically in a
sunroom with about 8 1/2 feet of windowsill and over 65 square feet of
windows facing SSW, plus a cart with 4 24x14" shelves and one each 24"
cool and warm fluorescent on each shelf. The orchids wander out onto
two balconies, N & S in the summer. Somehow, they just don't all fit
back into the sun room again after summer.?!*#

What do I grow?

About 85 total: Phalaenopsis, Oncidium alliance, Cattleya alliance
and a few assorted jokers.

The decade of my age?

Top of the fourth and the bases are loaded!

How long have I been growing orchids?

Well, I got my first one about twenty years ago, but as my
apartment was so dark, I finally got really going on them eleven years
ago when we bought our current sunny apartment.

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Killing the most expensive and hard to get orchid I have ever had.
It steels you for many things to come...

Miscellaneous Info...

I find caring for my orchids to be excellent therapy, somewhat like
yoga, only more exciting when you find development where you never
expected it.

Old 18-12-2004, 10:23 PM
samaki

Finally I got some time, to post m orchid CV too )

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Martha, female

Where am I? Where do I grow?

I am from Poland, I grow orchids at home. All the windowsills are

already occupied, I`ve also got a quite big winter garden (a room like a
grenhouse), but for the summer time I put my plants outside in the garden.

What do I grow?

Around 60 plants. Mainly different species, I like to try new things

all the time. I am also very fond of tillandsias.

The decade of my age?

I am in my twenties, still lots of time to learn more about orchids.

How long have I been growing orchids?

I think I`ve been growing for three years

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Being among the "founding fathers (and mothers)" of a Orchid Society

in my town.

Miscellaneous Info...

I`ve just got my MA degree and now I am studying for a Phd. I am

working at the university, teaching swahili language.

Old 17-01-2005, 03:30 AM
Lady Blacksword

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Murri - Female
Where am I? Where do I grow?

Mooresville, NC, USA

On my porch in summer, under grow lights in winter

What do I grow?

Anything that catches my eye. And stays alive.

The decade of my age?

18yrs.

How long have I been growing orchids?

About 1 yr.

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Getting my Lowe's clearance rack Ascda. to bloom.

Miscellaneous Info...

My fiance & I are jewelry designers & artists.

Old 17-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Dave Gillingham

Hope your fiance likes orchids too - you're probably hooked for life
:-)
Remembering your photo from a while back, he's a lucky man!

Old 17-01-2005, 04:37 PM
salgud

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Dave

Denver, Colo.

9, 5 Onc, 1 Paph, 1 Cat, 2 Unknown (probably Onc)

5.7

3 yrs come April

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

1. Keeping them alive
2. Getting my first one to spike (first one I got)

Miscellanious Info...

I have a project management consulting business and am starting up an
E-Learning business. I love to sail. I have 3 grown sons, none living
with me, thank God.
My oldest son's gf started giving me plants about 3 years ago when she
got a job in a nursery. When I managed to keep them alive a while, she
gave me my first orchid. I probably shouldn't forgive her. Then she
gave me more, adding insult to injury. I've killed a couple, moving
last year didn't help, but I've kept most of them alive and even
flourishing. I've come to love caring for them. Never thought I'd say
that!
Last year, I became determined to get some of them to bloom. Now my
paph is spiking (see separate thread) and I got so excited, like a kid,
jumping up and down in my kitchen! So I've dragged out my books and
started reading about orchids again. And asking questions here. Am
afraid I may end up like others in this NG! Worrying about my orchids
and planning my life around them! Does anyone know of a 12 Step group
for recovering orchid growers, or is there no hope?