Old 07-02-2004, 07:12 PM
TZ

Default Questions about Brassovola nodosa fragrance

I am very lucky in that the first generic B. nodosa I bought, nearly
killed, and then regrew is very fragrant even in the day under dim
light (starting on the day the flower opens no less!). The scent is
addictive perfumy so that it is difficult to walk away from the plant
(there is probably some silly official fragrance term for this such as
"buoyantly playful"). I then bought a plant with super-duper parents.
The flowers are big but there is no scent at all under any
conditions. I think that to be sure you either have to buy a clone
known to fragrate or buy a previously bloomed plant. Same with
Zygopetalums.

My B. cuculata smells like B.nodosa plus citrus. I immediately
thought of scented industrial bathroom cleanser. Smells good, but then
again so does the restroom at MacDonalds.

Good luck with it.

Old 11-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Larry Dighera

On 7 Feb 2004 11:09:21 -0800, (TZ) wrote in
I am very lucky in that the first generic B. nodosa I bought, nearly
killed, and then regrew is very fragrant even in the day under dim
light (starting on the day the flower opens no less!).

Yours is an unusual cultivar indeed if it is fragrant in the daytime.
(Would you consider providing a division or pollen for my breeding
program?)

The scent is addictive perfumy so that it is difficult to walk away from
the plant (there is probably some silly official fragrance term for this
such as "buoyantly playful").

Roman Kaiser, in his book The Scent of Orchids, Olfactory and chemical
investigation, has this to say about the fragrance of Brassavola
nodosa:

"Although this orchid, mentioned even by Carolus Linnaeus, often
grows in profusion, its distribution almost amounting to that of a
'weed', it is still held in high regard in Central America where
it is known by the name of 'Dame de la Noche' or Alluring Lady of
the Night'. This was doubtless inspired by the conspicuous
olfactory impact of its scent, which is released after dusk and
varies from a pure 'white-loral' to a 'rosy-floral' character,
depending on the particular variety or subspecies.

The 'white-floral' aspect predominates in the small-flowered
specimens so often encountered in orchid collections. It is based
primarily on linalool (27), benzoates, salicylates and large
amounts of nerolidol (28). The illustrated ;specimen, originating
from Mexico and possessing relatively large flowers and a somewhat
broader lip with rather flaccid petals and sepals, is
characterized by a particularly diffusive scent, representing a
combination of 'white-floral' and 'rosy-floral' scent notes. The
latter aspect is mainly due to a high proportion of geraniol (29).
The interplay of the two main components geraniol (29) and
(E)-ocimene (30) are largely responsible of the high degree of
diffusion, the vigour and pleasant freshness of the scent (cf.
analysis p. 199).

Analytical composition of Brassavola nodosa orchid scent:

K 16491, BGHB, Sept. 19/20, 1990, 23.00-7.30, RK, a.

Compound Area %
myrcene m
limonene m
(Z)-ocimene 1.0
(E)-ocimene 35.4
(E)-4,8-dimethyl-1,3,7-nonatriene m
(E,Z)-2,6-dimethyl-1,3,5,7-octatetraene *)
(E,E)-2,6-dimethyl-1,3,5,7-octatetraene *)
benzaldehyde m
linalool 6.6
ß-elemene m
(E)-ß-farnesene m
M+(?), 97(5), 82(97), 81(40), 54(30), 43(100) m
(E,E)-x-farnesene m
neryl acetate m
citronellol m
M+(?), 121(4), 99(20), 85(7), 71(100), 59(19) m
geranyl acetate m
(E,Z)-2,6-dimethyl-3,5,7-octatrien-2-ol *)
(E,E)-2,6-dimethyl-3,5,7-octatrien-2-ol *)
geraniol 24.1
(E)-nerolidol 24.0
methyl anthranilate m
(E,E)-farnesol m
indole m

I then bought a plant with super-duper parents.
The flowers are big but there is no scent at all under any
conditions.

As the AOS does not consider orchid scent worthy of judging, it would
seem that orchid breeders/growers are guided more by their eyes than
their noses in choosing cultivars.

I think that to be sure you either have to buy a clone
known to fragrate or buy a previously bloomed plant. Same with
Zygopetalums.

That is true of all aspects of orchid plants with the possible
exception of miriclones.

My B. cuculata smells like B.nodosa plus citrus. I immediately
thought of scented industrial bathroom cleanser. Smells good, but then
again so does the restroom at MacDonalds.

I have no experience with MacDonalds privy scents, but my B.
Cucullata's fragrance is penetrating and somewhat like a fresh lemon
chiffon pie cooling on the windowsill, sweet and piquant.

Good luck with it.

Many thanks.

Old 13-02-2004, 11:23 PM
TZ

I wish the plant was large enough to divide. I wish it was large
enough to fill the little basket it is in.

Bad timing.....I would be happy to send you some pollen but I just
used it all for my own tinkering. It is carrying a capsule from a
cross with Dinema polybulbon right now so I don't expect more flowers
for a while.