Old 18-02-2004, 04:07 PM
molli

Default How much is too much?

I've had a Baldans Kaleidoscope in bloom for nine months now. I had cut the
original spikes to have them rebloom, which they did, and then it sent out
two NEW spikes also. Now one of the original is branching yet again all on
its own. Plant looks good, 6 firm leaves, good roots. Is it ok to let it
keep blooming its little heart out? or should I cut the spikes and rest it?
My other Kaleidoscope that I was 'resting' is sending out new spikes
too.....it rested for about 5 weeks before it started sending up a new
spike. I don't want to kill them!
--
Hugs,
Molli

Old 18-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Claude

Hello Molli!

Your Baldan`s seems to be quite happy!
Mine is resting since last year, I`reading it your post hoping it will get
the message! :-)

Let them be happy!

Claude

Old 18-02-2004, 06:04 PM
Rob Halgren

molli wrote:

I've had a Baldans Kaleidoscope in bloom for nine months now. I had cut the
original spikes to have them rebloom, which they did, and then it sent out
two NEW spikes also. Now one of the original is branching yet again all on
its own. Plant looks good, 6 firm leaves, good roots. Is it ok to let it
keep blooming its little heart out? or should I cut the spikes and rest it?
My other Kaleidoscope that I was 'resting' is sending out new spikes
too.....it rested for about 5 weeks before it started sending up a new
spike. I don't want to kill them!

Now that is just bragging... *grin* Actually Baldans Kaleidoscope is
one of the most vigorous phals I know, but it sounds like you are having
better luck with it than many people. I don't grow it, but I have seen
some massively bloomed ones at shows. The only way to really know if
you are overstressing the plant is to examine the growth. Are the
newest mature leaves smaller than the older leaves? If so, the plant is
declining. Same size or slightly bigger, no problems. If the plant can
support that level of bloom, then no reason not to let it.

I find that on some phals (Ok, I have three... Not really my thing. But
I used to have more) the reblooming habit can be kind of annoying. If
it reblooms too many times on the same spike, they get really leggy and
not particularly attractive. At some point you have to cut them all the
way back so that you get some nice new spikes. I'd cut all of mine back
every time (rather than trying for secondary blooming), but I'm too
lazy. I usually just let any spike stay on until it is brown and I can
snap it off. Two of my phals are starting to rebloom on last years
spikes (but I don't see any new ones), so I guess I missed the window.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
Old 18-02-2004, 06:43 PM
molli

No Rob,..now *this* is bragging...my notoriously hard to bloom Phal. stone
pinto is about to open! Second time since last summer. On the Baldans,
leaves are all the same size, Huge! And yes, its getting leggy on the old
growth. I keep hoping it will keiki so I can cut the spikes. It doesn't
have a whole lot of flowers on the spikes, but they sure are pretty.

--
Hugs,
Molli

Old 18-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Kenni Judd

Molli: As long as the plant looks healthy and happy, let it go if you want
to. But keep an eye on it, and at the first sign of stress ...

Also, please feed it regularly. As I already mentioned in a previous
thread, there seems to be a rumor out there that orchids should not be fed
when in bloom -- but I should hope it would be obvious that 9 months is way
too long to go without feeding! esp. when the plant is putting out so much
energy making all those flowers.

Congrats on your successes!

--
Kenni Judd