Old 22-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Tanya

Default what to do with long roots

hello,
i have to repot my phalaenopses.
they are in sphagnum moss and the pot sizes are 5.5 - 6.0 inches
diameter
problem: 2 have VERY LONG roots ( 1 foot) but not much in the way of
leaves and i do not want to increase the pot sizes
a book i have advises to CUT OFF long roots (to 3 or 4 inches) i REALLY
do not want to do this especially since these had root problems when i
got them and last potted them (~ 1 year ago)
any advice is appreciated...
(i.e. do you cut these -- these are healthy roots)
thank you

Old 22-02-2004, 07:32 PM
kenty ;-\)

I wouldn't cut any healthy roots,especially aerial roots.Only remove old
mushy dead roots.If the roots are that good and totally filling the pot then
a slightly bigger pot might be necessary.No plant can stop in the same pot
for the rest of its life.What is the reason for the repot?
--
Thanks Keith,U.K.

Old 22-02-2004, 08:44 PM
Diana Kulaga

Tanya,

If they are that long, go ahead and snip away. Remember to use a sterile
tool for this (a fresh, single-edged razor blade for each plant is fine and
convenient), and to treat the cut ends to prevent disease. I usually spray
with peroxide and then dust with cinnamon.

Diana

Old 22-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Kenni Judd

I am assuming these 1+' roots are aerial. If so, why not just leave them
that way -- i.e., don't bury them when you repot?

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 23-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Tanya

hello and thanks for the reply!
[...below...]

"kenty ;-)" wrote:

I wouldn't cut any healthy roots,especially aerial roots.Only remove old
mushy dead roots.If the roots are that good and totally filling the pot then
a slightly bigger pot might be necessary.No plant can stop in the same pot
for the rest of its life.What is the reason for the repot?

i was told that when they are in sphagnum moss they should be repotted every
year if not every 6 months.
they haven't outgrown the pots plus i have been feeding them too little (out of
ignorance)...
sincerely
Tanya

--
Thanks Keith,U.K.

Old 23-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Tanya

Diana Kulaga wrote:

Tanya,

If they are that long, go ahead and snip away. Remember to use a sterile
tool for this (a fresh, single-edged razor blade for each plant is fine and
convenient), and to treat the cut ends to prevent disease. I usually spray
with peroxide and then dust with cinnamon.

Diana

like what the book said... in the case of 1 of the plants, i can see 2 of these
long roots but only 1 on the top of the pot.... whether i cut this ones' would
i guess depend on the condition of the roots inside the moss.
thanks again,
sincerely
Tanya

Old 23-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Tanya

thanks for the advice
[...below...]

Kenni Judd wrote:

I am assuming these 1+' roots are aerial. If so, why not just leave them
that way -- i.e., don't bury them when you repot?

yes they are aerial roots... i could leave them out happily
thanks,
sincerely
Tanya

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 23-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:37:47 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Tanya,

If they are that long, go ahead and snip away. Remember to use a sterile
tool for this (a fresh, single-edged razor blade for each plant is fine and
convenient), and to treat the cut ends to prevent disease. I usually spray
with peroxide and then dust with cinnamon.

Diana

Tanya & Diana -
I have to disagree. Never cut a root unless there is NO other
way to live with the plant or it is damaged or rotted.

Having said that. IF you have to convince roots into a pot or
basket, soak them for over 15 min. in a bucket of clean water.
They will be come pliable. The same works if you have to get
them out of an old pot. Although if you can sacrifice the pot -
breaking an old pot will cause the roots to loosen faster than a
good soak.

But someone suggested that arial roots be left to roam. I agree.
I have never found them to be happy if forced into a pot.
SuE

Old 23-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Tanya

wrote:

[...]

thank you, SuE
i'm preparing to keep the good (long) roots so will not plan the new pot sizes
based on them.(basically was wondering how large the new pots should be)
i'll soak them as per your suggestion and see what amount will fit into the new
pots (easily) and let the rest stay out of the pots
thanks,
sincerely
Tanya

Old 24-02-2004, 12:49 AM
Diana Kulaga

I gave some advice that was based on my perception of the situation, which
may have been wrong. If the roots are aerial, then I would leave them
alone. But if the root ball is huge in the pot and the plant is small, I
have had good luck with pruning them back a bit. Of course, we're talking
about Phals, and that makes a difference, but still, I prune. My Catts, I
trim back substantially to repot, and have had excellent results. They
branch, and I get better root mass overall by doing that.

Still, have to defer to those who have grown much longer than I.

Diana

"Tanya" wrote in message
thanks for the advice
[...below...]

Old 24-02-2004, 12:49 AM
Diana Kulaga

I gave some advice that was based on my perception of the situation, which
may have been wrong. If the roots are aerial, then I would leave them
alone. But if the root ball is huge in the pot and the plant is small, I
have had good luck with pruning them back a bit. Of course, we're talking
about Phals, and that makes a difference, but still, I prune. My Catts, I
trim back substantially to repot, and have had excellent results. They
branch, and I get better root mass overall by doing that.

Still, have to defer to those who have grown much longer than I.

Diana

"Tanya" wrote in message
thanks for the advice
[...below...]

Old 24-02-2004, 06:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:37:41 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

I gave some advice that was based on my perception of the situation, which
may have been wrong. If the roots are aerial, then I would leave them
alone. But if the root ball is huge in the pot and the plant is small, I
have had good luck with pruning them back a bit. Of course, we're talking
about Phals, and that makes a difference, but still, I prune. My Catts, I
trim back substantially to repot, and have had excellent results. They
branch, and I get better root mass overall by doing that.

Still, have to defer to those who have grown much longer than I.

Diana

Your growing in a more natural climate than I am. It could be
the combination of fresh air / humidity / climate that makes it
possible. Glad you can do it. This is one of those cases. Where
it fits it works, where the weather or artificial conditions get
in the way... ask local advise.
SuE