Old 02-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default O/T: Server Down??

Hi, Gang,

I feel like an exile! Yesterday when I went to log on to rgo I got a
dialogue box asking for a password (never happened before). To make a
long story endless, I have tried just about everything, including two
calls to Earthlink and lots of reconfiguration and new news accounts.
No dice; keep getting the same infernal password request. I can't
even download the news group list. The same is true for abpo. Email
is fine, no probs.

Earthlink says (although they tried hard to help, I must say) that
they do not support news groups.

Is there a server down somewhere that anyone knows of? I'm writing via
Google Groups. Any ideas? And if Earthlink doesn't support the news
groups, maybe it's time for a new service. Which ones "support" news
groups?

Help if y'all can......

Diana (On a happier note, C. amethystoglossa has ten buds, more than
ever before!)
Old 03-03-2004, 12:06 AM
RPM1

Default Server Down??

"Diana Kulaga"
Is there a server down somewhere that anyone knows of? I'm writing via
Google Groups. Any ideas? And if Earthlink doesn't support the news
groups, maybe it's time for a new service. Which ones "support" news
groups?

The lag on Google sux. Just subscribe to Individual Net

http://news.individual.net/

It takes a couple of days to go thru but it's free and very reliable.

Ruth CM

Old 03-03-2004, 01:03 AM
V_coerulea

I believe Atlantic.net is a major ISP in your area supporting newsgroups.
It's based in FL and serves a lot of the SE US.

om...

Old 03-03-2004, 02:53 PM

ISPs will change server addresses without any notice. (at least I
have never been notified before a change)
The address for earthlink last time I checked was:
news-east.earthlink.net OR news-west.earthlink.net
One other thing they will do is all of a sudden you will need to put
in your password.
I don't know what news reader you are using. This info applies to
Agent:
Goto: Options / User and System profile. Click on User tab. Click the
radial button that has "log in with user name and password" In user
name box put in whole Email address )
Put checkmark in box "Remember password between sesions" (if you are
the only one using it or leave unchecked, but you will have to put in
password each time you go online)
Then put in password on the next line (this is your email password)
Evan if you are not using Agent your news reader should have a place
with these setting for you to fill out.
I pay for news group acess from five different companies
(newscene,usenet,newsservice,forteagent,newsfeeds) as well as the free
ones with dsl lines (bellsouth, and mindspring/earthlink)
All of them have at one time or another changed the operation in some
way that has caught me unaware.
Don't give in just yet, keep tinkerin, you will find the problem.

Hope that helps
If not..... crayons are cheap and easy to use!!

Old 03-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Frank & Diana Kulaga

Thanks, everyone. I'm back in the group. Yesterday, E/L rep told me not to
switch to news.west. Well, a few minutes ago, my husband did it anyway, and
voila! No password request, no problem anymore.

Diana

Old 03-03-2004, 05:36 PM
wendy7

Yay! 3 cheers for the WEST!!!! *G*
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 05-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Dewitt

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:36:11 GMT, "Frank & Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Thanks, everyone. I'm back in the group. Yesterday, E/L rep told me not to
switch to news.west. Well, a few minutes ago, my husband did it anyway, and
voila! No password request, no problem anymore.

Diana

Just an FYI, I just looked at earthlink.support.usenet because I was
having a problem with newsgroups. There is a thread there about the
east server having problems all week long. It's basically down and
some were getting the same password request you were getting. Guess
they forgot to tell their support folks. :-(

deg

Old 05-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Diana Kulaga

wrote:

Thanks, everyone. I'm back in the group. Yesterday, E/L rep told me not

switch to news.west. Well, a few minutes ago, my husband did it anyway,

and
voila! No password request, no problem anymore.

Diana

Just an FYI, I just looked at earthlink.support.usenet because I was
having a problem with newsgroups. There is a thread there about the
east server having problems all week long. It's basically down and
some were getting the same password request you were getting. Guess
they forgot to tell their support folks. :-(

deg

GW forums? server down maybe? len garden Gardening 2 25-05-2007 11:35 PM
[IBC] Server Down Again Ante Busko Bonsai 0 18-02-2005 08:00 AM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 9 23-01-2004 06:12 AM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 0 22-01-2004 06:55 PM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 0 22-01-2004 06:48 PM