Old 20-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default You Think YOU Had a Disaster?

Okay, mice eating orchids is nasty, no doubt. I have a different problem.

Two weeks ago I purchased a mature Ascocentrum (Judy Fister) from another
member of my society. She is scaling down, moving to smaller place, and I
have bought a few other plants from her.

This plant is specimen size. It was loaded with spikes - too many to count.
It went from her environment directly to mine, and the two are identical.
By the pool, growing under screening, same light exposure.

The day after I brought it home the spikes started to blast. I sprayed for
thrips, just in case. Two days later, the leaves started to blacken. I
treated for fungus with Physan. Today, I cut off 28 shriveled spikes, and
there are a good many more that need to go. I do see some new ones starting.
I hit the whole plant with a bucket of alcohol/soap. Yesterday I hit it
with alcohol/cinnamon. I plucked dead leaf after dead leaf from this plant.

In all, I have taken four plants from the same person. One, a Catt, is
doing fabulously well, and is growing very near the Vanda in question.
Another, Den. anosmum (superbum) is about to bloom and is healthy as a
horse. The fourth is another Vanda that I got from her some months back,
and it went downhill immediately after I brought it home. I have seen her
grow area, and the plants are in great shape.

Am I missing something about the life span of Vandas? Is it possible that
they, unlike so many other orchids, are limited as to how long they will
thrive?

I am *p*d off here. What am I doing wrong, if anything? Right now, I just
want to save this plant, if I can......

Diana

Old 21-03-2004, 04:06 AM
Ray

Diana,

It sounds like the plant underwent some very drastic change, either in the
hands of the previous owner not long before you got it, en route between the
two of you, or once you got it.

I also suspect it's environmental, not a pest - to me it sounds like cold
exposure. Stop martinizing it with chemicals - a fungicide maybe, but
enough already.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
hlink.net...

Old 21-03-2004, 04:43 PM
K Barrett

Ditto. One person's growing environment isn't like a second person's - even
though they grow next door to each other. Shit like this happens all the
time, especially with specimen sized plants. The plant liked its old home,
and resents being moved. Stop treating it. It may still adapt to your
place. Not this year, but next. It may just pine away. In either case
you'll have to depend on the inner robustness of the plant to produce basal
growths in order to infill where the leaves dropped. Or produce new roots
higher up so you can top it. In either case it won't do any of that if its
being even more bothered by your well intended helpful treatment. ****es
you off, don't it? I agree. I have a V coerulea keiki from an FCC plant
that is still pining away for its old home in Oakland.

K Barrett

"Ray" wrote in message
Diana,

It sounds like the plant underwent some very drastic change, either in the
hands of the previous owner not long before you got it, en route between

the
two of you, or once you got it.

I also suspect it's environmental, not a pest - to me it sounds like cold
exposure. Stop martinizing it with chemicals - a fungicide maybe, but
enough already.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 21-03-2004, 08:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Ray & Kathy, thanks for answering. I know that environments differ wildly,
but two grow areas could not be more the same than mine and the one the
plant came from. I guess the plant is simply miserable anyway. The good
news is that it has roots everywhere, so if the two sections retain enough
leaves maybe there's hope.

And yeah, Kath, it does **** me off. $45.00 worth, never mind the
disappointment that comes with watching a gorgeous plant go kaput.

Diana

Old 21-03-2004, 09:03 PM
profpam

Although I break my own rules,
Rule 1: Buy locally if possible in that the plant has already become
acclimated.
Rule 2: Don't mess with plants that are not healthy-looking in the
first place. In other words, remember if you are resisitating the
chances of dying are pretty good.
Rule 3: Find out the previous conditions under which the plant grew,
and in particular did it grow in the sun or shade? Acid or alkalai soil?
temperature? water?
Rule 4: Stay with what works.

Good Growing!

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 21-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Pam,

Thanks for the rules. Problem is, I followed all of them. I think Kathy
and Ray are right, and what's more, I think I already knew it.

Diana

Old 21-03-2004, 10:33 PM
K Barrett

Especially that one. Could have been a culture award for sure. 28 spikes, at
least. Yowie!!

K Barrett

Old 21-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Diana Kulaga

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and post on abpo. 28 spikes is a very
conservative estimate - that's just what I cut off. There are many more.
Of course, these are short spikes with many small flowers, and when it's in
full bloom it looks like one big orange sun. I saw the plant last year at
its peak, and now I am sorry I bought it. Live and learn.

Diana

Old 21-03-2004, 10:35 PM
K Barrett

Well, it may adapt, you never can tell. It certainly is robust, and as Jeff
Goldblum says in 'Jurassic Park' "Life will find a way." Or as they say in
sports - Its ain't over till its over.

K Barrett

Old 24-03-2004, 12:55 AM
kenty ;-\)

Diana,
Sounds like you over reacted with what is a plant sulking because of the
change!Look at it as if you were that plant you have been forced to move
home,treated for thripe then with physan,then you have your spikes cut
off,washed with alcohol/soap then with alcohol/cinnamon.All that along with
the initial change of the move,you think your ****ed off what about the poor
plant!!!Just as well they can`t talk & walk cus that plant would have done a
runner ;-).

--
Thanks Keith,UK.
ink.net...

Old 24-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Diana Kulaga

Keith,

Thanks for a good smile! You're right: if someone moved me and then
sprayed me with alcohol and pesticides, I'd be plumb ****ed off!

Diana