Old 22-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Frank

Default how long can a Phal. flower last?

Hello,

My phal. had its first bloom about 4 weeks ago. Then, I got a 2nd
flower and a 3rd one. The first flower closed up on the same day that
the 3rd flower opened up. Now it is wilted. It has been open for about
3-4 weeks. So I have 2 flowers and a few buds left on the spike, plus
the wilted one. I'm wondering how long a Phal. floower usually last?
In the store, I saw Phal. spikes contain a string of flowers. So is
this kind of close/wilt normal happened to me normal?

Thanks,
Tiff
Old 22-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Rob Halgren

Frank wrote:

Hello,

My phal. had its first bloom about 4 weeks ago. Then, I got a 2nd
flower and a 3rd one. The first flower closed up on the same day that
the 3rd flower opened up. Now it is wilted. It has been open for about
3-4 weeks. So I have 2 flowers and a few buds left on the spike, plus
the wilted one. I'm wondering how long a Phal. floower usually last?
In the store, I saw Phal. spikes contain a string of flowers. So is
this kind of close/wilt normal happened to me normal?

Some can last for months. Four weeks is pretty good, actually.
Depends a lot on how much substance the flower has, if it is thin and
papery, you might not get very long. Thick and waxy, many many weeks.
It isn't unusual to lose a few flowers when you move the plant from the
grower to your house.

If it worries you, check around for fruit (bananas, apples, and
pineapples are the evil trio). They will take off flowers in a hurry,
so move the fruit bowl to another room. You might want to make sure
your plant is not directly in front of a heater vent, or a cold draft
from the window.

Chances are good that your first orchid won't be as spectacular as
your 10th orchid. It does take a little practice, just like anything
else that is worth doing.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
Old 23-03-2004, 06:12 AM
Ted Byers

"Frank" wrote in message
m...
Hello,

My phal. had its first bloom about 4 weeks ago. Then, I got a 2nd
flower and a 3rd one. The first flower closed up on the same day that
the 3rd flower opened up. Now it is wilted. It has been open for about
3-4 weeks. So I have 2 flowers and a few buds left on the spike, plus
the wilted one. I'm wondering how long a Phal. floower usually last?
In the store, I saw Phal. spikes contain a string of flowers. So is
this kind of close/wilt normal happened to me normal?

You don't say what kind of phal you have. That makes a big difference.
Species like P. amabilis can produce large inflorescences with lots of
flowers, which makes for an impressive display, and others, like P.
violacea, are sequential bloomers, producing only one or two at a time, but
producing new ones as old ones fade, which makes for a modest, but long
lasting display.

If you have a hybrid, you can get a sense of what to expect for it by
looking at its genetic background. If you don't know its background, give
the name and I'll bet someone in this group will be able to give it rather
quickly.

Cheers,

Ted