Old 24-03-2004, 08:38 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Miniature Phals

I'm interested in beefing up my miniature phal species collection and was
wondering if there are vendors that specialize in this field?

Assistance much appreciated,
Mariana

Old 25-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Aaron Hicks

Would you be including species phals in that "miniature" category?
Would you be including leafless phals as well?

I once met a man who is a world expert on phals. I brought him a
deciduous phalaenopsis in the hopes he could help me figure out what was
wrong with it. He had no idea there *was* such a thing as a deciduous
phal, and was at a complete loss as to what to do.

The e-mail in the header is a spam trap. Send no mail there.

Cheers,

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 25-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Reka

So enlighten us, Aaron. What was that deciduous Phal? :-)
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"Aaron Hicks" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Would you be including species phals in that "miniature" category?
Would you be including leafless phals as well?

I once met a man who is a world expert on phals. I brought him a
deciduous phalaenopsis in the hopes he could help me figure out what was
wrong with it. He had no idea there *was* such a thing as a deciduous
phal, and was at a complete loss as to what to do.

The e-mail in the header is a spam trap. Send no mail there.

Cheers,

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

---

Old 26-03-2004, 12:06 AM
GrlIntrpted

"Aaron Hicks" wrote in message
Would you be including species phals in that "miniature" category?

Was my varbiage confusing? I must apologies then, because I thought that
this is what the original message says . But if I wasn't clear, yes,
species phalaenopsis, but the minis.

Would you be including leafless phals as well?

Never heard of it, but would love to learn

Thanks,

Old 26-03-2004, 12:08 AM
GrlIntrpted

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
t...

"Aaron Hicks" wrote in message
Would you be including species phals in that "miniature" category?

Was my varbiage confusing? I must apologies then,

And apologise too g

Sorry,
-M

Old 26-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Aaron Hicks

Wasn't sure if y'all meant miniature HYBRID phals or species
phals. I've seen some awful tiny hybrid phals at the local Trader Joe's (a
chain of supermarkets) recently that sure are cute. I don't know much
about those- they're probably pretty much like standard phals in terms of
culture.

Don't know much about miniature phals, either. :-) However, I do
have a couple of them. To answer Reka's question- the one I had problems
with was a very cute Phal. stobartiana that I had purchased a few months
before. Phal. stobartiana is one of those species that has a clear-cut dry
season, and can lose all of its leaves. However, in cultivation, if
moisture is provided year-round, they will not shed their leaves. Anyway-
mine had decided to go three for one- two basal shoots from one mother
plant- and then went into decline in the fall. I had brought it to query
our speaker for the evening, but he was unfamiliar with the type orchid,
much less the species.

So, I ended up losing two of the basal shoots, but one of the
plants is still alive. I can't complain- I bought one, now I own one. I
give it a bit more water than I used to, and I think it is doing quite
well. The species likes a bit less light than most, and it does well
tucked down under a couple of Phal. javanica seedlings bestowed upon me by
a gracious grower.

Also in "the tank," I have two Phal. (=Kingidium) minus seedlings
that give me heartburn every time they drop a leaf. Fortunately, there is
a bit more root growth on them, now that it's spring, and I think the tiny
quantities of fertilizer (with SUPERthrive) are doing some good. Kingidium
is considered to be intermittently leafless, and Christenson has decided
that they are sufficiently divested from Phalaenopsis to merit their own
genus. I think he also put Phal. stobartiana into Kingidium as well.
(Phal. stobartiana was selling for $500 a growth until a couple of years
ago- the price dropped to $100, and now it's around $40-50 *if* you can
find one.)

Anyway- I grow all of mine plaqued on cork, with a bit of sphagnum
moss around the roots. They really don't seem to care for the moss, but I
use it to retain water since I believe in a very sharp wet/dry cycle-
perhaps *too* sharp. No matter how high I keep the humidity, the air
circulation is so high that the water is gone quickly. I have yet (touch
wood) to lose any to rot, unlike some of the trichocentrums I grow with
them, that expire horribly no matter whether you give them too much or too
little water.

When I receive them, they are secured to plaques with a bit of
dental "tape," made by the Gore company. I really don't think it matters-
one could probably use monofilament or wire or dental floss or cotton or
whatever- but it works very well for me. For the first two days, I give
them no water at all. After that, it is applied only very carefully. I
should also note that few, if any, of these species are available as
propagated seedlings, and that they must be imported. I hate to do this,
but we're trying to make MORE so that we won't need to do this in the
future. As always, it's a trade-off.

So- they're cute, tiny, sometimes leafless, and the flowers aren't
much to look at. They're also as expensive as sin, but aren't as much fun.
Culture isn't difficult, but finding them can be problematic.
Identification is difficult; there's a good chance whatever you buy will
be mislabeled.

More sources:

http://www.dreamwater.org/jim4eq/lea...kingidium.html
home.fr.inter.net/~brochart/Species.html

Also:
perso.wanadoo.fr/bernard.lagrelle/index.html

(LOTS of info on the natural habitat of these species, but it's
all in French.)

Do not send e-mail to the address in the header. It's a spam trap.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 28-03-2004, 03:07 AM
Dustin

I thought Christenson moved Kingidium into Phalaenopsis, not out of.

Dustin

Old 29-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Aaron Hicks

Dustin is quite right- Christensen moved Kingidium *into*
Phalaenopsis, not out of. My bad- and thanks for the correction!

E-mail address in the header doesn't work. Send no mail there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

temperature tolerance for phals dada Orchids 4 14-09-2003 09:02 PM
Someone tell the phals it's not fall! Gene Schurg Orchids 4 22-06-2003 11:08 PM
Yellowing leaves on phals rick Orchids 5 23-03-2003 04:08 AM
Sulking phals Ted Byers Orchids 5 21-03-2003 03:56 PM
mini phals rajiv Orchids 18 18-02-2003 03:39 AM