Old 31-03-2004, 09:03 PM
J Fortuna

Default Chiloschista pusilla picture

Dustin,
Look at the google archives of our messages:
Yours has a broken link
URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...0hotmail.co m
Mine does not
URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?selm....gni link.net
I assume that this trick is Microsoft specific, and maybe even Outlook
Express specific. Things work differently on Macs, so I am not surprised
this is not working for you. I found the URL:link trick on the Web or in
groups.google somewhere, so if you search around there may be something for
Thoth as well. By the way I did not intend to make the URL:link a link,
but Outlook Express just converts it automatically. Computer applications,
can't live with the, can't live without them.
Joanna

"Dustin" wrote in message
That is odd. I am using a program for Macintosh called Thoth. When I
posted the last message and I went back and read it, I was able to
click on that link and it worked just fine with the URL thing

Dustin

In article , J Fortuna
wrote:

Dustin,

Hmm, I guess the trick does not work for you. Which program are you

using to
post the messages with? I am using Outlook Express, and this trick
definitely works for me.

One other thing to try is to figure out whether whatever program you use

can
handle HTML messages. If you can post the message as an HTML message,

then
you can code in the link like this a

href="link_URL"link_visible_text/a.

Joanna

"Dustin" wrote in message
I am going to test out that URL trick here

URL:http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...schistausenoid
es/images/chiloschista_usenoides.jpg

That is my other Chiloschista, if you look in the center of the plant
you can see the spike that was just starting to form, and just below
that you can make out the tiny leaves that were coming off of baby
plant.

Dustin

In article , J Fortuna
wrote:

Dustin,

1) Noone is going to yell at anyone here for posting links. Links

are
ok.
Really. Promise. No rules against them.
2) nice Chiloschista pusilla. :-) I don't believe I have seen this

kind
of
orchid before, and I always enjoy finding out more about the

diversity
of the
orchid world. It is amazing.
3) Links that are long tend to not paste right. There are two ways

around
that:

Try putting the link inside URL:long_link_text The result comes

out
like
this

URL:http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...pusilla62/imag
es/DSC_0749.jpg

OR

Go to http://www.tinyurl.com and create an alias for the URL that is

too
long. I have created one for you: http://tinyurl.com/2stlh . However

if
you
use this method, please include the actual URL somewhere in the

message
also,
since we do not know how long the tinyurl will be around and if the
groups.google archive were around longer than the tinyurl, it would

be a
shame too loose the links.

Best,
Joanna

"Dustin" wrote in message
Looks like the link didn't copy correctly, im going to try it

again. .
.

http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...tapusilla62/im
ages/DSC_0749.jpg

Old 01-04-2004, 06:52 PM
wendy7

Dustin, both have worked for me & I use OutLook Express.
Nice roots!

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 01-04-2004, 06:53 PM
tbell

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 6:08:36 -0800, Dustin wrote
(in message ):

That is odd. I am using a program for Macintosh called Thoth. When I
posted the last message and I went back and read it, I was able to
click on that link and it worked just fine with the URL thing

I'm interested to hear that, because I just upgraded to Panther, and am
trying to decide between Hogwasher and Thoth, which I found sort of
cumbersome, with more choices than I knew how to use. Do you like it, and can
you upload new posts from it, or do you need Osiris (I think) for that?
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
To reply by e-mail, please remove APPENDIX

Old 01-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Dustin

I think the developers just abandoned thoth. I am going to try
switching over to hogwasher soon. It took me forever to learn thoth,
im not looking forward to doing it all over again. Im normally really
good with computer applications, but for some reason all these news
readers are nightmares.

Dustin

Old 01-04-2004, 06:53 PM
tbell

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:37:06 -0800, Dustin wrote
(in message ):

I think the developers just abandoned thoth. I am going to try
switching over to hogwasher soon. It took me forever to learn thoth,
im not looking forward to doing it all over again. Im normally really
good with computer applications, but for some reason all these news
readers are nightmares.

Glad to know I'm not alone. I used to use Outlook Express 5 for the Mac,
which was convenient and effective in many ways, but could not decode yEnc or
assemble multi-part messages, and many folks could not open my posts. That's
how I happened onto Hogwasher, which is not quite as convenient, but does a
good job of overcoming those problems.

Old 01-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Dustin

I am trying out a new mac program right now, called MacSOUP. I am going
to try to paste the url for the chiloschista picture with this new
client. Maybe I will post a different one just to test it.

URL:http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...schistapusilla
62/images/chiloschista_pusilla_inspik.jpg

Dustin