Old 08-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Keha11

Default BLC Eva Marie Barnett

A friend gave me a very large overgrown plant of Blc. Eva Marie
Barnett'Maginficent Watermelon Gold',FCC/AOS saying that she had a hard time
getting it to bloom. Any suggestions for growing this in N.Florida to get it
to bloom? KH
Old 08-04-2004, 05:32 AM
K Barrett

Funny! I just bought this clone too. Rumor has it that it won't flower as
well as it did when it got the FCC, speaking in terms of shape. But in
looking it up on wildcatt I see it has an HCC as well as an AM.

The FCC description reads "Three flowers on one inflorescence; sepals and
petals deep orange, almost solidly suffused with dark red; labellum deep
redpurple with deep gold eyes suffused and lined with red; beautifully
colored and shaped flowers with a slightly bad growth habit." (Thanks Rob!)

Rumor has it that the flower was manpulated in to its FCC form, but that
contention may also be sour grapes. Like I said I bought this plant last
weekend too, so I'm a sucker for it too.

Anyway, Light is always the key. Failing that, if it is overgrown you may
need to repot it in order to provide the best support to the plant. Again,
if you have good roots and the right light it can't help but bloom. I'd
keep it in specimen size, putting it in the next size larger pot with a
smaller net pot inverted inside the root mass to provide additional air to
the roots so they don't rot out.

K Barrett

Old 08-04-2004, 05:32 AM
K Barrett

OOps, and its Blc. Eve Marie Barnett

newss4dc.215688$Cb.1885456@attbi_s51...

Old 08-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Pat Brennan

I have heard this story about the flower manipulation as well. Either way
it is still a very pretty large flowered art shade Catt. I cloned this
plant years ago so have bloomed a fair number of them. Here in Va their
natural bloom time is late June through July. I often have blooming ones
for sale at the Parkside event in Pa which is the last weekend of July. The
only special treatment I give them is to not repot them in spring, but
instead wait until after the bloom cycle.

Pat B

Old 08-04-2004, 04:08 PM
K Barrett

Thank you Pat, I'll follow your advice about repotting after blooming.

I can't think of many other catts that went from an HCC to an FCC, so I was
pleased to get this clone. In spite of the story. Lord knows I've got
plenty of other catts that don't flower 'well', why not add one more? LOL!
In a fit of pique I went through the GH and took out all the ones that have
a 'bad' habit of some sort, poor form, poor color, not to my taste anymore,
what have you. But I wasn't quick enough to get them out of the GH and into
the trash, so one by one they've been pulled out of the bin and added back
to the benches. A sign of a True Addict.

K Barrett

Old 08-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Keha11

Pat: You know the lady who gave it to me: Helen Hoffman. Ironically, I bought
some small meristems in 1988 and sold one to Helen, don't know when, but she
grew it up so it is now in a 10 inch basket and growing out of it in every
direction. She has a very light glass greenhouse and grows cattleyas extremely
well. She has a C. guatemalensis that had over 300 blooms this year. I really
would like to divide and repot(or maybe rebasket)this plant as it needs it
badly and hope for good growth and blooms next year if not this year. Helen
raises her cattleyas in baskets or pots with little mix(or aliflor), waters
twice a week and fertilizes once a week.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 15:00:55 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Thank you Pat, I'll follow your advice about repotting after blooming.

I can't think of many other catts that went from an HCC to an FCC, so I was
pleased to get this clone. In spite of the story. Lord knows I've got
plenty of other catts that don't flower 'well', why not add one more? LOL!
In a fit of pique I went through the GH and took out all the ones that have
a 'bad' habit of some sort, poor form, poor color, not to my taste anymore,
what have you. But I wasn't quick enough to get them out of the GH and into
the trash, so one by one they've been pulled out of the bin and added back
to the benches. A sign of a True Addict.

K Barrett

While you have them over next to the door, your supposed to take
them to the OS meeting and sell or give them to the newcomers who
need practice plants. You know your not quite as it should bloom
is a lovely blooming Catt to some one who has only 5 plants.

Does the society have a divisions table? Somewhere you can
donate and they can get a buck or two for newcomer programs?
SuE
Old 09-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Pat Brennan

Helen is a better Cat grower than me, hands down. If it was giving her a
hard time about blooming I would guess it is some how temperature related.
They are pretty reliable for me.

Pat