Old 25-04-2004, 07:55 AM
Registered User

Location: Lehigh Acres Florida
Default Shade House designs

Hello, I am new to growing orchids. I live in SW Florida in Lehigh Acres. The Summer sun here is very hot and bright and I would like to know if anybody has a link to a site that provides designs for shade houses. Or if anybody could email me photos of their shade houses. my email address is
Thank you.
Old 25-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Dustin

I live in florida too, and built a "temporary" shade house out of those
canopy fittings that you use for making car covers. Its working very
well so far. I covered the whole thing in plastic a few weeks ago for
the last of our sub 60 nights.

http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...hadehouse.html

Dustin

you.--wmbuchanan----------------------------------------------------------
--------------posted via
www.GardenBanter.co.uk

Old 25-04-2004, 04:08 PM
wendy7

A very clever idea Dustin, I may try & do this with just the shade cloth. I
need
to replace an old wooden structure that has termites!!!
Yours is almost a greenhouse. You already have humidity.
Happy growing.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 25-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Dustin

It was just designed to be a shadehouse with some plastic on the roof, I
never intended to cover the rest of it. I just got so tired of bringing
them in on cold nights, too many plants. Actually bringing them in
wasnt bad, taking them back out in the morning and being late for work
was the worst.

Dustin

Old 25-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Registered User

Location: Lehigh Acres Florida

Dustin,

I like what you've done it looks great!!
You have plenty of room for working and with the fan that you installed you will be able to keep our August temps from cooking your plants.
I'll make sure to send you some pictures when I complete the job.