Old 28-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Dewitt

Default Question about Phal. amabilis

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:03:19 GMT, "PhalGuy"
wrote:

Hello everyone!

My last acquisition, Phal amabilis, had 6 buds when I bought it last month.
One of them opened . Now the 5 others one are ready to open but the first
flower is already dying! Is this normal for this specie?

My Phal. amabilis var. formosanum plants typically have all flowers on
the spikes open at once. The buds open over the course of a week or so
and then it's about six weeks before the bottom ones start to die off.
My guess is that your plant was stressed being moved from one
environment to another while in bud. It will be better next year.

Do you know if you have Phal. amabilis or Phal. amabilis var.
formosanum? The formosanum is much smaller than the std amabilis and
is listed by some as a separate species, Phal. formosanum.

deg
Old 28-04-2004, 10:06 PM
PhalGuy

Hello!

I think I have the var formosanum since the flower are small, around 2 inch
wide!
You`re right, I think my plant suffered when being moved !

Thanks again

Claude

news | On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:03:19 GMT, "PhalGuy"

Old 29-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Dewitt

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:59:40 GMT, "PhalGuy"
wrote:

Hello!

I think I have the var formosanum since the flower are small, around 2 inch
wide!
You`re right, I think my plant suffered when being moved !

Thanks again

Claude

I actually meant that var formosanum was a smaller plant. See the
post from Al below. Amablis gets up to a 39" leaf span. The var
formosanum up to about 20". I just went and measured my var
formosanum's flowers and they are about just under 3" on a plant with
a leaf span of 17".

deg

------------
From: Al )
Subject: mini phals
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids
Date: 2003-02-16 15:35:49 PST

According to Mr. Christenson's book Phal amabilis var formosana may
be
Phal. aphrodite subsp. formosana and the leaf span tops out at about
20".
There is a lot of name confusion between species in some of these
groups,
your plant isn't necessarily labeled incorrectly

The numbers for amablis as they are listed in the book are correct.

These plants never read the books and have no idea how they are
suppose to
look or act.

"Dewitt" wrote in message

If you find a real error, let me know.

39" leaf span for amabilis?! I thought mine was mature at about 18".
Perhaps Phal amabilis var. formosana is a smaller form. . .

deg

Old 29-04-2004, 12:04 AM
PhalGuy

Hello! Sorry!

My plant is quite young! I`ll tell you the leaf span in a few years :-)

Bye

Claude

Phal amabilis wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 30-05-2009 05:27 PM
Phal amabilis Wendy7 Orchid Photos 2 01-05-2009 06:57 AM
Phalaenopsis amabilis Mike Derby[_2_] United Kingdom 5 07-08-2008 04:38 PM
Phal amabilis Wendy7 Orchid Photos 1 26-03-2008 08:47 PM
aphrodite or amabilis? Please help Orchis Orchids 8 17-12-2006 09:44 PM