Old 07-05-2004, 06:07 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Cycnoches lehmanii

I have a sulking Cycnoches lehmanii. I took it out from it's media and the
roots that grew initially do not appear happy. They're not penatrating the
media and not as plump and healthy as the Ctsm pileatum. I keep them in
similar conditions though the Cyc gets very bright light, it does not get
direct sun exposure, both are very well fed on regular basis (during the
growing season), and are kept moist (though not wet) and are in 70%
humidity. The Ctsm is growing by leaps and bounds, probably the healthiest
plant that I own, the Cyc, is sulking. What am I doing wrong?

Mariana

Old 07-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Rob Halgren

GrlIntrpted wrote:

I have a sulking Cycnoches lehmanii. I took it out from it's media and the
roots that grew initially do not appear happy. They're not penatrating the
media and not as plump and healthy as the Ctsm pileatum. I keep them in
similar conditions though the Cyc gets very bright light, it does not get
direct sun exposure, both are very well fed on regular basis (during the
growing season), and are kept moist (though not wet) and are in 70%
humidity. The Ctsm is growing by leaps and bounds, probably the healthiest
plant that I own, the Cyc, is sulking. What am I doing wrong?

Well, catasetum and cycnoches are more different than you might
think. Just look at some of the primary intergeneric hybrids... ick.
I'm not the best grower of cycnoches, although I do have a dozen or so
of the species in between bouts of spider mite infestation in my
basement. I would bring yours back into a lower light environment, and
maybe cut back on the watering a bit until those roots take off. You
can rot out a dormant cycnoches pretty easily. I don't count them as
growing until the roots get an inch or two long, and the growths are
similar. Before that stage I water less frequently.

Your humidity sounds excellent, but probably what is happening is
that it is getting too much light. Or it is too hot. Or both... That
will stress out the plant, and your root growth will suffer. It can
probably take the kind of light you are giving it, but only after it
gets more of this years root development out of the way. I grow most
of my cycnoches under paph light conditions, and they seem to do OK.

Just my $0.02. My lehmanii sulk a bit too... It always seems to be
a little slower than most of the other species to get established every
year.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 07-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Rob Halgren

Thank you Rob, I will try it! should I hold back a bit on the fertilizer
too?

-M

Might want a second opinion before you trust me _too_ much...
*grin* I would cut back on the fertilizer too.

2a. See rule 1
3) LittlefrogFarm - semi/sort-of/somewhat open... Contact me for a list )
Old 07-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Reka

"Rob Halgren" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Thank you Rob, I will try it! should I hold back a bit on the fertilizer
too?

Might want a second opinion before you trust me _too_ much...
*grin* I would cut back on the fertilizer too.

2a. See rule 1
3) LittlefrogFarm - semi/sort-of/somewhat open... Contact me for a list

)

Yeah, Marianna, ask yourself *why* he always has room for two more
orchids...he always kills them off!

--
Reka (ducking!)

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html