Old 15-05-2004, 04:11 PM
J Fortuna

Default opening flower :-)

My cochleanthes is opening its flower.

My cochleathes is opening its flower!

My cochleanthes is opening its flower!! Woohoo! :-)

After teasing me with bud after bud since November, none of which opened,
all of which blasted, until now. I am very excited. I may even be willing to
forgive its past behavior.

Joanna

Old 16-05-2004, 09:06 PM
P.J. Bloodworth

Hi Joanna,

I was just wondering if you knew why your flower buds were blasting. I had
this problem until I realized that my unvented propane heater, though
supposedly "99.9% efficient," was still probaly releasing enough ethylene
gas to cause flowers to blast or drop during the heating season. Ever since
I yanked that thing out, everything has been doing very well.

Jeff

Old 16-05-2004, 11:24 PM
J Fortuna

Jeff,
My buds were blasting due to insufficient humidity. I needed to get a better
humidifier, keep it close to the cochleanthes, and not forget to refill it.
Plus it helped that the weather in the Washington DC area (where I live) is
becoming more humid this time of year, and the central heat is no longer
on, so the air is not being dried up. I am pretty sure that the humidity was
the problem before. Most of my other orchids are Phal/Dtps (+ one Paph), and
they are much more low maintenance and adapted to the imperfect conditions
in my apartment, but the cochleanthes seems to be less adaptable.
Best,
Joanna

link.net...

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
My cochleanthes is opening its flower.

My cochleathes is opening its flower!

My cochleanthes is opening its flower!! Woohoo! :-)

After teasing me with bud after bud since November, none of which

opened,
all of which blasted, until now. I am very excited. I may even be

willing
forgive its past behavior.

Joanna

opening passion flower cineman United Kingdom 1 12-07-2006 08:19 PM
Aquatic Auctions Canada Grand Opening Aquabay.ca Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-01-2004 02:34 AM
Question, buds not opening Sam Roses 1 22-06-2003 04:32 AM
Buds not opening jenny2write Roses 3 02-06-2003 03:32 PM