Old 27-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Reka

Default Attn chemistry buffs: alcohol

"Ray" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Ah... the problem with responding at 5:30 am and before coffee

How about this: smaller = easier to absorb

Yes, but *which* of the three are smaller and how can I tell that from the
formula?
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 27-05-2004, 03:08 PM
wendy7

By jove Reka, I think I've got it?
How about some ordinary spirits of alcohol, like Gin or Vodka?
You could take a sip or two & have fun getting rid of those pests!
I can picture you now...........At 3pm., one spray on the mealies, one
sip for Reka,
another spray on the bugs & 2 sips for Reka, hic! Repeat until all gone.
Hic!
At 5pm your hubby comes home & you try to tell him about your day?*g*
"Well I think I got rid of those blasted bealie mugs!" Hic!
Reka collapses into her hubby's arms.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Reka wrote:
What is the difference between isopropyl and ethyl alcohol? Can I
use ethyl alcohol in place of isopropyl in an alcohol/soap/water
solution for spraying pests???
Can't seem to find isopropyl in Italy. :-(

Old 27-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Reka

"wendy7" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
By jove Reka, I think I've got it?
How about some ordinary spirits of alcohol, like Gin or Vodka?
You could take a sip or two & have fun getting rid of those pests!
I can picture you now...........At 3pm., one spray on the mealies, one
sip for Reka,
another spray on the bugs & 2 sips for Reka, hic! Repeat until all gone.
Hic!
At 5pm your hubby comes home & you try to tell him about your day?*g*
"Well I think I got rid of those blasted bealie mugs!" Hic!
Reka collapses into her hubby's arms.
--

Ooh! He would like that! Then he could take advantage of me!
Wouldn't it work with Merlot? I like wine much better...

Old 27-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Rob Halgren

Reka wrote:

Ooh! He would like that! Then he could take advantage of me!
Wouldn't it work with Merlot? I like wine much better...

Vinicolors are still popular... Kill two birds with one stone. A
little for the paph, a little for the paph-rat....

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open for business - e-mail me for a list of
minicatts and oncidiums )
Old 27-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Dewitt

On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:31:54 +0200, "Reka"
wrote:

Yes, but *which* of the three are smaller and how can I tell that from the
formula?
--

In this case, fewer atoms equals smaller molecule.

Isopropanol is C3H8O - 3 carbon atoms, 8 hydrogen, 1 oxygen
Ethanol is C2H6O - 2 carbon atoms, 6 hydrogen, 1 oxygen
Methanol CH4O - 1 carbon atoms, 4 hydrogen, 1 oxygen

deg

Old 28-05-2004, 04:05 AM
tbell

On Wed, 26 May 2004 23:12:14 -0700, Reka wrote
(in article ):

"Rob Halgren" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Reka wrote:

Well,actually, my pharmacist is the first one I asked, and he said he

can't
get it. There are however quite a few things you can't get here that you
can in the States. Matter of culture, I suppose. :-) Did see DONUTS at

the
autostrada rest stop this year. Can't stop unhealthy, good food from
traveling across borders, I guess.

So what do you use for cleaning scapes and cuts? Or for an
injection site? Here a nurse (doctors don't do anything) will wipe down
your arm with a little isopropyl alcohol before giving a shot, and they
used to soak metallic instruments in it (now they autoclave everything -
can't autoclave your arm).

Well, the label on the stuff I use for the kids says "benzalconio cloruro",
if that rings a bell. Benzalcone chloride?

In the US that's Zephiran, or benzalkonium chloride, Reka, a quaternary
ammonium compound which is a microbicide similar to Physan, but not
alcoholic. If you can't find isopropanol, I'd vote for cheap vodka, which is
slightly watered down ethanol.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX

Old 28-05-2004, 08:04 AM
Reka

"tbell" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Reka wrote:

Well, the label on the stuff I use for the kids says "benzalconio

cloruro",
if that rings a bell. Benzalcone chloride?

In the US that's Zephiran, or benzalkonium chloride, Reka, a quaternary
ammonium compound which is a microbicide similar to Physan, but not
alcoholic. If you can't find isopropanol, I'd vote for cheap vodka, which

is
slightly watered down ethanol.

Okay, guys, the party's on! I have to practice spray spitting like the
medicine men do, that way both the plants and I get the benefit!

Old 28-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Andrew

Ethyl alcohol (ethanol) is the alcohol found in liquor.
Isopropyl alcohol is most commonly used in sterilizing hand wash.

Ethanol is a very effective sterilising agent, and the two are often
used in the place of the other for this purpose. Each is suitable for
the purpose that you are talking about.

Yes ethanol is a smaller molecule than isopropyl alcohol, but it it
hardly makes any difference - they are both far smaller and able to
penetrate the stomata of your orchid's leaves. Each will tend to draw
water out from the leaves, unless used carefully.

You can buy ethanol in the form of methylated spirits (approx 90%
ethanol), but the other 10 % is a mixture of methanol and pyridine. I'm
not sure how toxic these two would be to your plant's leaves.

Regards,
Andrew.