Old 24-07-2004, 06:02 PM
John Carruthers

Default Paph, what now ?

My new Paph just dropped its last bloom leaving a bare spike. Do I now
leave it to its own devices, or snip the spike back to a node, or
right back to the base ?
jc

--
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/jc_atm/

---

Old 24-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Ray

I suppose it depends on what species are in the background.

Some paphs only have a solitary blossom, so when it's gone, it's time to cut the spike off as close
to the plant as possible. Others are multi-floral and usually sequential bloomers.

If there are still buds beyond where the flower was, do nothing. If not, cut away.

..

Old 24-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Steve

Ray, did you notice he used the word node? Now, I suppose you could
say a multi-floral Paph has nodes but I just have a feeling he has a
Phal. I'll bet you $1.37 that he typed Paph. by mistake.

Steve
.... waiting for John to return and tell me I'm full of prunes.

Old 24-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Ray

Good point, Steve! Reading down the page, I see that I missed the comment about the plant losing
its "last" bloom.

Jon, if you're still interested...

Phals CAN sometimes rebloom from the same spike if you cut it off just below the point where the
lowest blossom formed (or above the 3rd node up from the base, which is often the same). Whether to
do that or not is, to some extent, a matter of choice.

If the plant is good and strong, it might not hurt it a bit. If it's a smaller plant or one that's
not as sturdy as it might be, it would be better to cut it off altogether, so the plant doesn't
waste more energy on flowers instead of building itself back up.

Personally, I tend to leave them alone, letting the plant decide for itself.

..

Old 25-07-2004, 02:58 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:42:25 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

Good point, Steve! Reading down the page, I see that I missed the comment about the plant losing
its "last" bloom.

Jon, if you're still interested...

Phals CAN sometimes rebloom from the same spike if you cut it off just below the point where the
lowest blossom formed (or above the 3rd node up from the base, which is often the same). Whether to
do that or not is, to some extent, a matter of choice.

If the plant is good and strong, it might not hurt it a bit. If it's a smaller plant or one that's
not as sturdy as it might be, it would be better to cut it off altogether, so the plant doesn't
waste more energy on flowers instead of building itself back up.

Personally, I tend to leave them alone, letting the plant decide for itself.

If you leave it alone... It may not be slightly for a time. But
it will shortly tell you if it wants to be cut off or only
trimmed.
SuE

Old 25-07-2004, 10:08 AM
John Carruthers

Ray, did you notice he used the word node? Now, I suppose you could
say a multi-floral Paph has nodes but I just have a feeling he has a
Phal. I'll bet you $1.37 that he typed Paph. by mistake.

Thanks Ray.
Pay up and look big Steve :-)
When I bought it, it had 1 bloom at the top of the spike and a blind
seed
case at the next node (?) down.
I'll put a pic on my astro site (pics page).

The knife is sterile, I'm going in.
jc

Old 25-07-2004, 02:27 PM
Ray

It IS a paph! Steve, you can paypal me the $1.37.

John, if the blossoms are gone, go ahead with the knife - as low as you can without damaging the
plant.

..

Old 25-07-2004, 03:23 PM
Steve

Oh, I didn't even see you accept the bet, but of course I'll pay up.

Steve