Old 26-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Elena

Default Couple of Phalaenopsis

Hi,

Nearly 2 years ago a second plant has grown very close to one of my
Phalaenopsis, so now I have two Phalaenopsis in the same pot. The first
plant doesn't seem to be disturbed by the youngest (it goes on with
beautiful flowers !), and the second one also looks well but it never
flowered since it was born.

Now the pot became too little to host both the plants but I don't know if I
can repot them together in a biggest pot, or if I should divide them...is
there someone who could give me a piece of advice ?

Thanks

Elena

Old 27-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Ray

I find that phals that grow from the base of the "mother" are really difficult to remove without
serious damage to both. My advice: get a bigger pot and leave them together.

..

Old 27-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Elena

I find that phals that grow from the base of the "mother" are really

difficult to remove without
serious damage to both. My advice: get a bigger pot and leave them

together.

Thank you Ray,

It's also the nicest solution : the leaves of the 2 plants form a sort of
"pillow" and from the middle there come "mother's" flowers, but...I'm very
at the beginning and I'm still not really confident :-)

Elena

Old 28-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Xi Wang

Well, it all depends on what you want. If you want size, then keep them
together. I have had a couple of orchids with keikis, and I always
separate them, and haven't had any problems yet. Just make sure you
cover the wound with some sort of fungicidal agent. I guess the main
reason I do this is because I don't like leaving all my eggs in one
basket, just in case one comes down with some sort of infection, I'd
like to know I have a clone of it somewhere. But I'm just a beginner,
so take all my advice with a grain of salt.

Cheers,
Xi

Old 28-07-2004, 03:48 PM
Elena

"Xi Wang" ha scritto nel messaggio
Well, it all depends on what you want. If you want size, then keep them
together. I have had a couple of orchids with keikis, and I always
separate them, and haven't had any problems yet.

I thought keikis were only the new plants born on stems...my second Phal. is
born from the base (the roots are inside the pot, not outside).
Anyway, I think I will be more confident with a "global repotting" (among
other things, it's the first time I try to repot my Phals !) :-)

like to know I have a clone of it somewhere. But I'm just a beginner,
so take all my advice with a grain of salt.

Well, I'm quite a beginner too :-)

Cheers

Elena

Old 28-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Xi Wang

As I understand it, keiki is a Hawaiian term meaning little one. And it
applies to baby plants produced from any part of a plant. Good luck
with your repotting efforts.

Cheers,
Xi